Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #11 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

When treating it is best to use a small bare bottom clear container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F area....this makes it easier to observe the fish and make the needed 100% water changes using the correct dosage of salts

I also recommend pre-mixing the treatment water in 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the correct amount of salts and you can also add the tannins to steep- which is always good to use regardless of what you are treating....by having the treatment water pre-mixed-this insures correct dosage and make the 100% water changes easier......
thanks so much oldfishlady! i always pre-mix his water with the Prime water conditioner i use, in 2 one-gallon jugs, and let them sit so they'll adapt to the room's temperature (his current tank temp.)

i think i'll pick up a little container for while he's recovering, to make the daily water changes easier. thanks again. :)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #12 
orphansparrow

okay, i just went out and bought a heater. i couldn't find one that was adjustable anywhere, so i just got a 10 watt, that says it keeps the water at 78 degrees.

i will see how it goes. :)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Oooh, what kind? People give the pre-set ones such a bad rap, but I say if you invest in a good brand, they dont disappoint. I <3 marinland's stuff. I have two 10w in my two 5 gallons, which keeps them at a steady 78+ (Usually 82'), even in winter. And when back down to a smaller tank, they stay at 78 :D Woot.

And really OFL? I wasnt aware they treated much like AQ salt would, though I can see it making sense.

I love my epsom, its cheap, cures diseases, bloating and makes my plants happy. <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #14 
Thunderloon

Epsom can actually dehydrate bacteria either on the fish or in the fish's guts, this is a bit more effective than salt for curing purposes. Salt actually makes the water naturally aerate more as well as retards the growth of most fresh-water bacteria.

Generally in a weakened fish I don't like to use either but for one starting out healthy that gets infected either OR both work fine. The ratios for using both get a little tricky, colder water uses more epsom, warmer more salt but you don't use full dose of either.

The gap between the mineral treatments and aeration treatment is where Lifeguard is intended to be used. It uses a suspension form of chlorine that tricks bacteria into eating it, then the chlorine eats the bacteria. The opposite of Lifeguard is Potassium Permanganate... KMnO4 sucks oxygen out of the water violently, creating a suddenly anaerobic environment. If you let the KMnO4 sit mixed with water for too long it simply becomes a mineral contaminant in the water, one that a fish's kidneys are ill prepared to deal with. High ammonia and nitrite also have some antibiotic properties with the exception of nitrosomonas and nitrospira but they're also toxic to fish. Nitrate itself seems to do nothing but be beneficial to fungus. With all the chemicals in this paragraph you're at risk for kidney damage. Fish swallow the water with their food and some transfers into their blood simply from aspiration. It is an interesting note that with betta you can actually dip them in high nitrite water as an antibiotic treatment (not something any of us keep on hand, I'm sure) to kill aerobic bacteria without any long term effects like Permanganate can have. It takes time for nitrite toxicity to build up in betta and only seconds for it to affect other fish. (5ppm nitrite un-buffered will nearly instantly kill most tetra but your betta will likely live more than a day in it before succumbing, simply because of the labyrinth gland.)

I'm a bit off the primary topic here, I know, but there's a few more tidbits about ammonia and nitrite that need to be added. Both are great for growing plants and both are great for growing aerobic fungus. This is why it is important to keep both to a minimum, either with daily water changes using prime or with actual biological nitrification processing. Nitrate is not so handy for fungus while still handy for plants.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot