Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 
justmel

Rocks from the beach

I've recently moved about a mile and a half from the beach. Is anything I find there safe to use in my betta tanks? I know sea shells do something that's not really good. I think messes with the ph, but what about rocks? or drift wood? Can I clean up rocks or drift would I pick up at the beach and use them in my tank?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

It would depend on what kind of rock. Some rocks can raise the pH. Otherwise, I think you would have to soak/boil everything thoroughly and sun dry to get rid of the excess salt from the sea water and kill any parasites.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #3 
RiceFish

Be careful with items such as rocks and driftwood from the outside. You never know what it has been in contact with. FYI never boil rocks. ever. I asked the same question a while back and the response I got was to just soak the rocks in hot water and then let them sit in a bucket of dechlorinated water. Afterwards let them air dry. Boiling rocks have the potential to explode. Driftwood on the other hand you can boil if you want to remove the tannins faster.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 
justmel

Thank you Feng! Basically if I add 1 rock at a time & test the ph regularly I should be ok to try a few of them out than.

Great point Ricefish & thank you! I would have tried boiling the rocks & that would not have been fun. My water gets hot enough to warp 2 liter bottles, so I think it's really hot enough to sterilize things anyway. I don't want to get rid of the tannins in the driftwood, so I will have to think about how I would do that one.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote