Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #1 
SkullX

Fungus?

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere but I am posting in haste since I have been out all day and dont have much time to search.

I noticed a small whitish cotton ball looking growth on my daughters female today when we got home from Easter dinner and assumed it is probably fungus from what I have read.

I've changed most of the water in her tank to try and get it as clean as possible, and put some new ammonia chips in along with her filter. I've read that aquarium salt can also help, but of course all stores were closed being that it is a holiday.

Other than a bit of salt, is there anything else I should look to purchase tomorrow to try and help our girl out?

We just noticed this today and its not too big so I dont think its a major problem yet, but I want to make sure I do everything I can.

As for needed info, her tank is a 6gal Marineland with a bio wheel filter and heater. The water is usually high 70's, and our PH here is always high. I do not have any type of air stone in it, nor are there any other tank mates. The food we give her is Omega One flakes, and Tetra Bloodworms. Her behavior seems to be fine other than this small growth. She still is swimming around normally and is eating ok. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope everyone had a happy Easter.
SkullX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 
Twilight Storm

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=68278

PewPewPew had pictures of this, It is what was on Moose. I linked My thread in hers if you wish to read them.

If the stuff on your fish looks like this, it might be the same?

Pictures help a lot to many of the more expert people here. Filling out that sticky at the top of the forum might help people too.

The three teaspoons of AQ salt per gallon of water for 10 days worked wonders overall. (I used API AQ salt for freshwater aquariums)

If it is columnaris (sp) or something you might need to medicate with something else though. Hopefully an expert can help you out.

Best wishes to you and your fish, and happy easter
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullX View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere but I am posting in haste since I have been out all day and dont have much time to search.

I noticed a small whitish cotton ball looking growth on my daughters female today when we got home from Easter dinner and assumed it is probably fungus from what I have read.

I've changed most of the water in her tank to try and get it as clean as possible, and put some new ammonia chips in along with her filter. I've read that aquarium salt can also help, but of course all stores were closed being that it is a holiday.

Other than a bit of salt, is there anything else I should look to purchase tomorrow to try and help our girl out?

We just noticed this today and its not too big so I dont think its a major problem yet, but I want to make sure I do everything I can.

As for needed info, her tank is a 6gal Marineland with a bio wheel filter and heater. The water is usually high 70's, and our PH here is always high. I do not have any type of air stone in it, nor are there any other tank mates. The food we give her is Omega One flakes, and Tetra Bloodworms. Her behavior seems to be fine other than this small growth. She still is swimming around normally and is eating ok. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope everyone had a happy Easter.
True fungus is very rare in fish- what youre discribing is actually probably a kind of bacteria. Weird, right? On land, fuzzy things are fungi, but in water, the fuzzy stuff is mostly bactiera.

How high is high 70's? Your fish needs at least 76', with 78' being best. For now, however, try to keep the tank at 76-77', constant. This wards off more bacterial growth.

I suggest going the natural way to help get rid of her fuzzy growth. AQ salt is your best bet, it seems strange that such a simple thing would work, but bacteria and salt dont work well together ;)

I would buy (asap) a decent size carton/bottle of AQ salt. Its always great to have! For now (unless cycling, and even then, it might be ruined by treatment anyway), shut off the filter and lower the water to around 3 gallons. This makes it easier to clean and do changes, while giving your female enough space to swim happily.

Start by doing 100% changes in this lower water tank and dosing in about 2tsp/gallon of salt each water change. A little while later (try for about an hour), add in another 1tsp/gallon of salt. In total, this is 3tsp/gallon, an aggressive attack on the bacteria. I suggest staggering the amount due to the high concentration of salt. I am currently doing this in my tanks for a bacteria much like what you have.

Continue for about 7-10 days. It should get better by then, though if not, or if it worsens after 3 or so days, let the forum know.

My suggestion in a nutshell:

~(if you can, for easier water changes)-
Remove gravel, decor, plants(live- will die in salted water!) and lower water level to around 3 gallons for your zippy female.
~Do 100% changes each day if you do this ^
~If you keep all 6 gallons, do a 50% change one day, and then either a 100% or 50% the next.
~Keep that temp stable around 76-77' ideally to prevent bacterial growth.
~Feed a high protein diet (40%+), but do not over feed. Live and frozen foods are great for this. Do not feed freeze dried blood worms more than once a week.
~Keep that tank DARK! Turn off the tank lights and keep the area dark if you can.
~Add in 2 tsp/gallon of AQ salt for each 100% change or after the 50%-100% or 50%-50%. About an hour after the fish is properly acclimated, add in another 1 tsp/gallon of the salt, pre-mixed in water.
~All AQ salt should be pre-mixed and dissolved in water before adding to the tank, as direct contact can burn.
~If you have it, add in Indian Almond Leaves or Aliston's betta spa (if you can find it, it might be easier) to boost the water's health effects.

A picture would also help a lot, to narrow down what kind of bacteria it is :) There are a few kinds, and one that might need medicine over just salt.

Hope that helped, it worked for me, even in that same tank ;D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #4 
SkullX

Thanks for the info folks, I go into work very early,which is why I posted in haste last night (4am); so I checked her before I left and I think its worse than I originally thought. She seemed to be very bloated this morning before I left. So bloated I could see the slight red in her gills. She was not like this last night. I've heard of Dropsy but I'm not sure if thats what it could be. On my way home today I'll be picking up a new carton of salt, I just hope its not too late.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Are the scales on her head raised? Dropsy is a symptom and not a disease itself. When a fish shows signs of dropsy- bloatedness, raised scales/pineconing, etc- its because of another illness or illnesses.

Pictures will help tons!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 
SkullX

Sorry folks, I am trying to get pictures but for some reason I cant get a good one. My rotten camera just keeps taking blurry pictures no matter what I try. The button for the light on her tank does not seem to be working either now so it might be a problem of improper lighting. I will keep trying.

That being said the white spot above her eye seems to be smaller, or possibly flattened? She still looks bloated but seems to be swimming around ok, but her tail end seems to drift up frequently on her, as if she is top heavy from being bloated, which seems to make sense.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #7 
SkullX

I'm happy to report that the fungus, if thats what it was, on our girl is now gone. I think the bloat she had may have been a result of possible over feeding. She is swimming around seemingly ok now.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Good to hear that. Continue with treatment and frequent water changes for a few days to ensure she's good to go!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #9 
SkullX

Yep, I'm changing her water again tomorrow, I ahve some already waiting with some more salt in it. Although now her adversary seems to be the 6 week old kitten my wife brought home that seems to like watching her swim!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 
turtle10

What was the original water change schedule?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote