Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
baylee767

Skittish boy

My CT comes from a place where fancy tails are worshipped and VTs and CTs are tolerated. I think the other tails get pellets and the commo ones get flakes, and are handled a bit more carelessly. I know this because my HMPK boy LOVES people and is constantly flaring atme and dancing around. My CT though...

He hides from me. He peers at me from his plants, and a minute ago I slowely pointed my finger at im, when I do this my other Bettas flare and prance around, but he darted away and hid in the back of his tank. I'm going to need to "socialize" him. Anyone know how?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #2 
fleetfish

Some bettas are just like that, shy and skittish. The only thing you can really do for them is just be patient with them and try not to stress them too much. Eventually they may muster up the courage and associate you with food and attention; other times, it's just how they are.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #3 
baylee767

Thank you.

Wow, guess what I just noticed? It's not ME he's afraid of, but my FINGER! I will sit there with my face right next to his tank and he'll be fine, but I show him my finger and he runs away. Wonder why?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 
Harley

Where did he come from? Maybe his previous owner / LFS used to tap on the glass a lot.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #5 
copperarabian

My little hm king I bought as week was super skittish as well, so I kept him in a smaller container that floats in my big aquarium for a day when I would be home. I fed him super small portions throughout the day and slowly interacted with him more until he started recognizing my hand as food. during the night when I transferred him back, he didn't act skittish at all.

I'm not sure if this is the best method, but it worked with him in under 24 hours. And I had my female in the same container when I first got her and she was also super shy but warmed up to me very quickly.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #6 
laughing

When I first got my male from PetCo (my female was always super friendly) he was a nut ball of shyness! Within a day he started swimming in the open more.

He's terrified of everything! His food (I feed live) and my finger. It's not my face either, just my finger. I'm thinking he's scared of my finger and my female isn't because males are looked at more. And what's worse is he was there for like a month. (Maybe more!) So I know plenty of kids were shaking his cup around, poking at him, hitting the glass, etc. Therefore I think he's just scared because he thinks I'm going to do what they all did to him. He's slowly warming up though!!

I think just give it time and put the tip of your finger in when you feed him so he'll think it's a lot less scary! Try not to tap the glass at all (even though it's tempting when they "play dead"!) so he doesn't think your finger is all that scary anymore.

Trust me, he'll get used to you!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a crowntail a few years ago that was not friendly at all. He wouldn't come near me. Whenever I would come near him he would try to get as far away from me as possible.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #8 
JKfish

:) A betta's stomach is the path to his heart. Just feed him yummy food, and eventually he'll warm up to you.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote