Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #1 
Chacha

not eating and not moving much

We have had this fish for a few months. Everything was fine until a week ago. The fish does not eat the fish flakes anymore. The fish is spending a lot of time with staying at the bottom of the tank or near the surface without moving. It is not dead, but surely looks like dead.
There is some redness on the tail. Besides that, I notice no changes in the appearance.

What is going on with my fish? How can I help it to get better?

Many Thanks for your responses,

Lisa
Attached Images

Chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #2 
Burd

To assist you better, you'll need to answer the questions here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Cacha,

Before you do anything else, do this:

If you have a small plastic container (like the betta came from the store in), place your fish in it with a small amount of fresh, conditoned water, brought up to tank temperature. The idea here is that we want to make it easier for your fish to get to the surface for air while he is ill. If you have too, just cover him enough so he can reach up and breath.

While your fish is in this QT container with such a small amount of water, you'll want to change it frequently - every few hours - to keep it clean and safe.

Doing this will help your fish survive while you answer the above questions and we try to nail down what is going on.

I suspect we're looking at fin rot and possible bacterial involvement but we need more information...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #4 
Chacha

Fish cannot keep itself straight

We have two betta fish. One living in its own tank is doing well. The fish flakes, water temp, the water condition, the frequency of feeding are the same for the good fish as for the sick one. We have had the fish for the same amount of the time. There has not been any changes. I have changed the water four times after I noticed something wrong with the fish, since April 18th. I used to change the water once a week.
The appearance of the sick I am noticing has changed, though. The sick fish's tail has some redness, the same kind when it is under stress, for example, during water changing time. The sick fish's body cannot stay straight or swim straight. It needs to lean on something, the wall of the tank or the tank deco to keep itself from "falling" into a flat position.
Attached Images

Chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #5 
JKfish

He looks like he's in a 1/2 gallon tank, without a heater....

If that is so, he needs a 2.5 gallon tank, with a heater that keeps his tank 78-80*F. two 50% and one 100% water changes a week in a 2.5 gallon tank is the minimum.

It seems like he has finrot, and he's probably cold and ill. If you get him the set up described above, his health will drastically improve.

every time a fish exhales or does a poop, they release ammonia, which builds up in the water. Obviously, ammonia is a harmful toxin that will burn the fish, cause bacterial growth, etc. This is why frequent water changes are necessary. Obviously, such conditions are not good for their health. Along with that, bettas are ectotherms, meaning they have no ways of heating their body. As such, their internal temperatures are the same as their external temperatures. They need the temp around them to be tropical (around 80* F) so they can properly function. Being cold (even by 5 or 10 degrees) can be extremely bad because it slows their body, and lowers their immune system. A betta that lives in the small 1/2 gallon tanks that petstore employees sell to uninformed customers is basically living in conditions that can kill them off in a month, even though they are extremely hardy fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

Awww poor little guy. I had a really big frown face looking at him. I hope he feels better soon.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #7 
gbose

Chacha,

Test your ammonia. If you see any, then start daily 50% water changes. Then follow JKFish's advice.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #8 
JKfish

There is a very good chance ChaChaCha will not have a testing kit, considering he or she is probably new to keeping bettas..

ChaChaCha, there's probably a good chance you might not be able to buy complete set ups for both bettas right away. In the mean time what you ought to do is 100% water changes once a day, and place the tanks in the warmest area of your house. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #9 
Pekemom

Such great advice!! Good luck, Chacha...please let us know if your betta is improving...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #10 
Cos84

I am having the exact problem with my fish which I keep in my classroom. His name is Steve Prefontaine and the poor guy is suffering. I did what was suggested by taking him out of the tank and placed him in a smaller container with fresh water. Should I completely empty the main tank and refill it? What is the next step? please advise
Thanks
Cos84 is offline   Reply With Quote