Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
dinahkay

Question about seeding tank

I have a 5 gallon tank that is having ammonia issues. The lfs thought the issue could be tetracycline used to treat an infection. They thought it might have zapped all the good bacteria with the bad. Hence the .5 ammonia levels before and after water changes. I treated with prime as a temporary fix. Today I went back to lfs to have the water tested. They also gave me a bag full of muck squeezed out from one of their filters to seed my tank.

So I soaked my filter in the muck and then poured it all in the tank after I did a 50% water change (previous water change was 50% 24 hrs ago.) So my water is starting to settle and get less cloudy, but now I have all the muck settled at the bottom of the tank. How long should I leave it before vacuuming and doing another water change? I don't want to"clean up"the good bacteria from the lfs, but it also looks sort of nasty;)

FWIW the lfs suggested 50% water changes weekly till the tank cycles. I am currently treating for fin rot (which the lfs thought might be ammonia burn) since he had such drastic fin loss in a 24 hr period with Maracyn Plus (lfs said it would be easier on tank cycling and good bacteria.) I have a 5 gallon tank, heated at 80, internal tom filter, three live plants and a zebra snail.

Thanks!
dinahkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 
JKfish

Well, I'd remove your fish first, the one risky thing with LFS filter stuff, is you don't know if there's anything ucky/potentially bad in there.

an extreme loss of fin sounds more like fin biting rather than finrot, in which case I'd finish using the maracyn if you'd start it, but afterwards, I'd just treat with clean water. If you haven't started treatment, then don't.

I'd give it about a day before you do a water change/vaccum if you remove your fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
dinahkay

Thanks. I didn't think it was tail biting since it started with frail/wrinkled fins, and now it has a black singed look with dramatic loss.

The lfs I got the filter media from is a top notch store with super clean tanks, so hopefully I didn't get anything too bad. I will go ahead and vacuum tomorrow and do a small change to remove the layer of debris.

Thanks
dinahkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
JKfish

okay then :) Well, good luck with the finrot and recycling your tank~
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

It good that at least TETRACYCLINE save ur betta ,but it so weird i used TETRACYCLINE before and it helped without any problems out any problems after using it. But i think if he is eating and active it good. I think cleaned water will make his fins redraw. It just will take time.

I do 100% water changes all the time. I think it the best for betta care never have problems.

Also someone recommended to me to use aged water. I think when u let water stay some camicals will ivoporate, but i am not sure which one.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote