Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #11 
orphansparrow

poor guy :( i wish i could help, but i have no advice. just wanted to bump this up for you.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #12 
Arashi Takamine

I hope your boy feels better. He looks like a lighter version of my Akira. (The pale belly being a big tip off.) The eposm salt may help him go to the bathroom more.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #13 
baylee767

Thanks everyone!

Good news, too. That piece of pea I fed him yesterday must have done the trick, because his stomach is nearly the size of a normal Bettas His stomach is still a bit big but it's better. I'm going to continue him on the treatment for another day or two, give him some rest for a few days to a week, and because I suspect he might have gill parasites or MAYBE fungus I'll give him a 10 day course of AQ salt, just in case (1 tsp/gallon + daily 100% water changes). Shouln't harm him...

I took a pic. As you can see he has a big belly but compared to yesterdays pic it is tiny. But... I did find the worlds largest Betta poop in the corner of his tank It had a slightly green tinge to it which I'll assume was the pea. Should I give him another piece of pea to completely clear him or just let him do the rest?
Attached Images

baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #14 
baylee767

Should I feed another pea? I feel like I should feed something to help him but seeing as peas can be risky I'm not sure if I should risk it 2 nights in a row lol.

Also, does anyone know about internal parasites? He MIGHT have them so I want to feed him pellets soaked in garlic juice when I finish fasting him. I don't have a garlic press though, and all I have is this fish garlic stuff you add into a container of water and soak the food in called "garlic x-treme" Will that have the same affect as soaking his pellets in pure garlic juice for internal parasites, if anyone knows?

EDIT: the bottle of garlic x-treme says: 99% Allium sativum extract (garlic juice), Citric acid and ascorbic acid (as preservative)

Last edited by baylee767; 05-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #15 
Arashi Takamine

I wouldn't give him another pea. If his belly looks normal then let that part of him rest.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #16 
Elena

He looks fine to me. I would do a water change, stop medication and watch him for a few days. Feed sparingly. He is beautiful!
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #17 
baylee767

I fed him a blood worm. I ca't get a clear look at his stomach, but I'm PRETTY sure it's cured. His stomach did seem to swell slightly after just one blood worm 0.0

But he has gill parasites. After a while of getting him to flare at his reflection he flared his gills. They were red like normal, but the bottom was all gray. I'll start him on an AQ salt treatment in a few days, and until then he'll be spoiled.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #18 
baylee767

QUICK- he has internal parasites!! There is a string of white poop hanging on him. This'll work to cure it, right?

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Parasite-...0&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Only thing I can afford probably. I mean, it's by jungles and I have garlic juice to entice eating, so quickly as I am super nervous about internal parasites, answer!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #19 
baylee767

I can't edit anymore, so... My dad ordered it. I read in many places that it works so I ordered it (there was only 2 left... 1 now) It should arrive in a week, and take about a week to cure. This is enough time before it turns deadly, right??
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #20 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I fed him a blood worm. I ca't get a clear look at his stomach, but I'm PRETTY sure it's cured. His stomach did seem to swell slightly after just one blood worm 0.0
Are you feeding freeze dried blood worms? If so, I would take that out of his diet completely, freeze dried foods can complicate digestion and in my opinion aren't worth the risk, especially if your betta is particularly sensitive.

I remember reading that most parasites are shed by the fish and don't cause harm, it's the ones that stay inside that cause problems... but I'm not 100% sure on this, contact OFL would be the best option, I would ask for her advice before treating your betta.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote