Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
cajunamy
Banned

Spawn log: Kadin x Clover

I've posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd bring it here too.

Papa Kadin

Mama Clover

I can't believe I'm starting my own spawn log, wheeee! :yahoo: :banana:

I adopted Kadin, a blue/white marble hmpk boy, and she was kind enough to send along a green marble female for me to try my hand at breeding. I'm not positive if she is superdelta or halfmoon yet, don't remember if I was told and I haven't looked closely enough yet.

She also sent along some BBS eggs for me to hatch out. Just need to get the liter containers.

[s]I am aware that Kadin has been eating eggs, so I know that he may not work out. If he doesn't, I have a white/marble boy to try as well.[/s] Or not? I had it in my head he was an egg eater, but I may have been thinking of someone else?

I recieved Kadin & Clover in the mail 3/30. They are in 3 gallon tanks with IAL, RO water with added minerals, and a heater. I am giving daily 50% water changes, and feeding them 3 x a day with Attison's pro, frozen bloodworms & frozen brine shrimp. I'll likely do this for 1-2 weeks.

I have a 58 quart tub for the growout and girls, I have about 15 containers thus far for when the boys need seperating. I have a 10 gallon up and running, but I would need to break it down to prepare it as a spawning tank. I may just go out and get a new container/tub instead of breaking that down.

I hope Kadin pulls through b/c I would adore having his fry by my hand!!!

April 7 - Ordered vinegar eel & microworm culture.
Clover is really nice and fat, as is Kadin. I think they're ready. He's quite the bubblenester. I need to wait for my cultures though!

April 15 - Got my microworm and vinegar eel cultures in today, and also started one of each. In a week I'll start new cultures so I have backups. I'll continue doing that every week till I have about 5 of each. 2 more weeks till I can spawn, gotta wait till the babies have something to eat!

April 21 - busy busy weekend so I doubt I'll be spawning this weekend like I'd planned. Possibly Sunday if I can get the BBS hatchery going. My microworm culture is absolutly thriving so I need to make a back up one. My vinegar eels are doing well I suppose, they're very hard to see. I havent been able to find a magnifying glass. I started an infusoria culture 2 days ago, the water is just beginning to turn green. I can't wait to do this, but I'm also scared of killing the itty bitty babies.

April 24 - finally setting up the tank! The pair will be added tonight. 8pm - Kadin is in the tank, as is Clover. She's in a glass with a lid (with holes) on top. When he comes near to flare at her, she goes into the submissive head down position. She has no bars that I can see yet, nor has he started his nest yet. Hopefully tomorrow morning I wake up to one, and Clover barred up to be released! Took some pics, will add. And I'm charging my Kodak to take video when they start spawning!

April 25 - released Clover this morning and got nervous so I put her back into her glass. Released her again a few hours later. So far nothing but chasing - on the first release they were both chasing each other in turns. After I jarred her again he got busy on that nest like nobody's business! Now, he just chases her and she runs like she's scared to death. No spawning yet. She comes to check out the nest and he chases her away.

April 26 - I woke up around 6:30 AM and looked up at the tank - Kadin was still chasing Clover away. I fell back asleep and woke up about 11, went on over to check and they were WRAPPED! It was so exciting! :yahoo: I could see Clover releasing about 7 eggs or so at a time.

As I watched, to my disappointment Kadin was clearly eating the eggs. I could see him swallow them, and he wouldn't go up to the nest, he'd swallow, go catch a breath, and wrap again. I watched him do this several more times and decided to leave them alone.

I came back about 20 mins later and Clover was releasing at least 20 eggs at a time - and Kadin was going up to the nest afterward! I wasn't sure if he was putting eggs in, or eating eggs already there. So after a bit of watching, I could clearly see he was inserting them. This time I left again, for 3 hours of shopping. My DH leaves for work at 3:30, so I had to go get that done b/c tomorrow we should be having bad weather.

3 hours later I come home and immediately check on them. Kadin is under the nest and there are lots in there! I estimate about 70 or so. Clover is hiding on the other side under the java moss. So I grabbed her glass and took her out. After picking up my groceries I checked on Papa Kadin again, and I watched with absolute awe as a little egg dropped from the nest, landed on his head, and he shook it off and gently placed it back.

I added a couple drops of Prime, and 3 drops of Maroxy as per Faith of BettaTalk (she was the one I purchased my first ever breeder bettas from) Now we wait for them to hatch, and hopefully Kadin won't turn them into sushi!

April 28 - 2 days old. I was getting pretty nervous - Kadin could't keep up with all the eggs/babies! One of my cats must have pulled on the airline/plug for the air pump b/c it was hanging off the dresser this morning. Which made the sponge filter move and also the cup, destorying a bit of nest with it. There wasn't much nest left though to be honest, Kadin wasn't tending it. He's been great as a dad otherwise though! I took a nap and checked on them and it looks like everything was picked up and inserted into a new small nest Kadin had built. I guess it finally clicked for him! Now we're just waiting for the free swimming stage! I'm undecided on when to set up the BBS hatchery. I don't want to hatch too soon and then the BBS are too big when the babies can eat them, but I don't want to wait too late either.

April 29 - I confirmed at least 30 fry! And about 1/3 of them are free swimming, yay! I asked Karen and she leaves the male in for 5 full days. Fry are 3 days today so in 2 more days he will be coming out. She says it results in smaller, but healthier spawns. I like this, b/c this way I don't have to cull a malformed betta myself! I don't mind a smaller spawn really. They are so CUTE!!! Gonna try to take pics of them

April 30 - Much of the same - fry are getting much more active :)

cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I saw this on the other forum. Nice pics and good luck with the spawn.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #4 
YoshesMom

awwww look there so wittle
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

they are teeny tiny - actually even tinier than teeny tiny! A neighbor saw them and when I was trying to point them out, I said look for the black dots -- she says 'those tiny fleas?!' lol
Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #6 
melbot

Amazing! Congrats to you and your beautiful fish!
melbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #7 
mernincrazy8525

i must have a pair of these guys when they mature. they are amazing parents. and congrats. keep us updated with pics a lot.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 
Silverfang

so exciting! congrats on your spawn :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

I just hope and pray I can raise them to maturity .. it's been nerve racking every step of the way!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure it IS nerve wracking.It's a lot of responsibility.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote