Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #1 
hops523

Questions about a 2.5 gallon

Ive had my 10 gallon fully cycle and will be putting my first betta in there this week. I was at the pet store, and found a 2.5 gallon tank, and I love the look of it, its just a standard tank. Im thinking of setting one up for future bettas. Im wondering how many people cycle their 2.5 gallons? Do you have small filters in them, or do you just do big water changes more often? I have a filter in my 10 gallon thats working fine, could I baffle it, and make it work for a 2.5 gallon?
Thanks
hops523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

A 2.5gal filtered tank will establish the nitrogen cycle, however, due to limited surface area for a good thriving colony of beneficial bacteria the nitrogen cycle is not as stable and still needs twice weekly water changes of 50% to maintain water quality and fin health for a single Betta......

IMO/E you don't have to have a filter for this species of fish...without a filter in a 2.5gal tank I would make twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality and fin health......unless you have lots of live active growing plants....

In the small tanks I have found that filters can cause fin stress with the long heavy fin male....I don't use filters in most of my 10gal and smaller tanks...but I do have lots and lots of actively growing live plants that function as the filtration...if I do use any filtration in the smaller tanks (10gal or less) I like to use sponge filters
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #3 
gbose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops523 View Post
Ive had my 10 gallon fully cycle and will be putting my first betta in there this week. I was at the pet store, and found a 2.5 gallon tank, and I love the look of it, its just a standard tank. Im thinking of setting one up for future bettas. Im wondering how many people cycle their 2.5 gallons? Do you have small filters in them, or do you just do big water changes more often? I have a filter in my 10 gallon thats working fine, could I baffle it, and make it work for a 2.5 gallon?
Thanks
I have a 3G betta tank, and it's cycled. It came with a very slow/gentle filter, and I left it in. My betta seems quite happy.

You probably could not baffle a 10G filter well enough (not sure what brand it is?). But Tetra makes some good filters for small tanks..

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote