Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #21 
laughing

I would have soo many fish right now. I just think, "Is it FAIR to this fish?"

I've grown sooo attached to my female. She has SUCH a personality, unique specifically to her. And I love getting to know my fish. Heck, today I got (2) 2.5 gallons and put her into one (the lighted hoods and filtered ones) and she looked amazing. The plan was then I could put her in my room since she has the light. (My room is SUPER dark.) The convo went like this:

"Mom, I'm going to miss seeing her.."
"Me too. I've grown so attached! When you're not home I just sit next to her and watch her swim."
"You can't do that in my room.. I just like coming inside and seeing her right away and being able to look over and check on her."
"Well... SHE can stay on the table..."

LOL!! She wants my mollies gone and out of her sight, but my little betta girl has her heart. <3
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #22 
lunawatsername

@blazer i know your pain well... if i had the room i would have a whole lot more animals!

@iheartmybettas wow, thats a lot of cleaning o.o lol. right now it only takes me about half an hour to do a full clean on both my tanks, but then again their pretty small. i know my girls will take quite a bit more time than that more than that! lol
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #23 
laughing

My 5 gallon is a hex and it's a PAIN. Water changes are simple on it, though. Like 15 minutes to get the water out, wipe down the water line, and fill it with treated water.

My girl's tank takes about 20 minutes to completely clean. I don't even bother with water changes. It's 2.5 gallons I clean it completely every day to every other day. (Super duper clean! ;) ) Sometimes I'll just rinse everything off and refill which takes less than 10 minutes.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #24 
lunawatsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
My 5 gallon is a hex and it's a PAIN. Water changes are simple on it, though. Like 15 minutes to get the water out, wipe down the water line, and fill it with treated water.

My girl's tank takes about 20 minutes to completely clean. I don't even bother with water changes. It's 2.5 gallons I clean it completely every day to every other day. (Super duper clean! ;) ) Sometimes I'll just rinse everything off and refill which takes less than 10 minutes.

yeah, its not as bad as it could be for people with little tanks like ours lol i have a 2.5 and a .5 (i think, it doesnt actually say how many gallons it is, but if i had to guess thats what i would say) i actually cant wait til i get my bigger tanks, because then at least i wont have as frequent of cleanings! really? 100% every day? i was told thats actually really bad for the fish... o.o i have to do 100% every other day for the .5 tank (cant wait to get her in my soon-to-be sorority!) but for my 2.5 i change about 70-75% of the water every week (usually 35% twice a week, so its less of a shock for him suddenly getting completely new water.) i was told very frequent water changes could over-stress your fish, and get rid of beneficial bacteria.
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #25 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunawatsername View Post
@iheartmybettas wow, thats a lot of cleaning o.o lol. right now it only takes me about half an hour to do a full clean on both my tanks, but then again their pretty small. i know my girls will take quite a bit more time than that more than that! lol
Lol! It's really not that bad. I do water changes every Saturday or Sunday. If I have an issue in a tank I will change it more during the week but all my tanks are cycled and all are 5 gallons or more. Every now and then my husband will help me but he does more of the tank equipment management (like messing with monster canister filters) while I do most of the tank maintenance (water changes, algae scrubbing, feeding). My 3 yr old daughter assist in holding the water changing hose for me and she feeds her fish tank sometimes. The only tank I change twice a week is my work betta, Bullet, since he is in a 2 gallon filtered tank.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #26 
YoshesMom

i have all 2.5 gallon tanks and change them all 100 % once a week i cup up the betta and everything gets a hot water rinse and the gravel gets rinsed a couple times and all the walls get wiped down with a paper towel it probably takes anywhere between an hour and 2 hours depening on if anyone needs an extra scrub down or i get distracted
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #27 
laughing

If I don't my water gets really murky and gross. Plus, I'm soo worried about her getting sick because I've been seeing white spots all over her tank. Her old tank was 1.75 which was toooo small for any beneficial bacteria to emerge. For her new 2.5 gallon every 3 days will do(:

Actually, her water needs to be changed. It's SUPER hard already, and the longer it sits with her substrate, the harder it gets. It just soars. And it makes the tank get those white marks and crap. She also gets extremely lathargic if I don't clean it. I don't change her filter media often, so the bacteria stays there. And most water changes I don't scrub everything down just rinse the rock and the inside of the tank(: The plants (live & fake) are generally left alone.

I also get her used to her new water. Generally because the pH is different, the water temp is off by a couple degrees, and it's less hard. It'll take me 30 mins usually to transfer her in. And every time I change it (except for last b/c her plants are in there QTing) I put her into a .75 gallon bowl with some decor from her tank(:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #28 
Blaze54

I have two and plan to get many more They are addictive!!! I want to "collect" them. Once I move and get settled in. I'm gonna buy more X-)
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, male betta, most popular, mts, sorority