Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Help with online lingo!

So basically my generation was all about the aol instant messenger when it first came out and the most I learned for online lingo is "lol," "lmao," and "brb."

What does herp derp portray? Also what are some of the emoticons you all are using LOL I'm so behind... I kinda piece together some of them.. like it finally just clicked what XD that face was hahha

Thanks! I want to fully grasp what's being chatted about on the forums ;)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 
Luimeril

i'm not 100% on what derp means, exactly, but it's bascially.... stupid. :p here's the urban dictionary def.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...p&defid=134579

and some pics to show you. :3
http://www.chaobell.net/newgallery/d/2110-1/14xl63c.jpg
http://files.sharenator.com/sonic_2_...x553-82293.jpg
http://files.sharenator.com/derp11_H...126809-580.jpg

it's something i use often. lol

as for the smilies, they're pretty easy to explain.

:3 is a happy kitty
:3c is a kitty with it's paw by it's mouth
:D is a super happy
:) is just happy
:< is sad
:( is also sad
D: is really sad
:O is shocked

:3 hope i helped!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #3 
monroe0704

Lol well it definitely cleared up the :3 smiley.. I knew it was happy, but I didn't get the little ruffled lips haha

Loved the example pics hahaha
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 
Luimeril

of course! :3 is a smilie i've grown to use alot. lol
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

LOL.. you're not alone Monroe.. I don't understand half of that kind of stuff.. I usually just ignore it because quite frankly I hate most "text speak"
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't care for text speak either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #7 
bettafish15

Haha real text speak annoys me too, but the little emoticons dont bug me at all >:3

"herp derp" can differ for some people, but when I use I use it like "I herped a derp" meaning "I did something stupid". Some people on forums dont like it when you use herp derp though, because they're all "its offensive to physically or mentally challenged people and to me because I work with them" when really, no one is talking about them at all. So yeah, just be careful with that one :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #8 
LolaQuigs

Yeah, I admit to throwing out the occasional emoticon, but I rarely use text speak. I will sometimes say "lol" when someone texts me something amusing that I don't really have a real response to, but that's about the extent of it. A little of it doesn't bother me, but when people go crazy with it, it really gets on my nerves. It's like trying to translate something from a foreign language!

I had never even heard of the term "derp" until I came here. I kind of figured it out based on context, but it's good to have confirmation that my guess was along the right lines.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I never heard the word derp until just lately and had no idea what it meant. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #10 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Some people on forums dont like it when you use herp derp though, because they're all "its offensive to physically or mentally challenged people and to me because I work with them" when really, no one is talking about them at all. So yeah, just be careful with that one :P

People need to learn how to CHILL.

To be honest, memes are started on a website I will not name because I don't want to be responsible for underaged people going there (I personally don't care because most underaged try to act like they're adults anyway). The ones that the public hears of, are all old and dead beaten horses from that website. Which is personally why I want to punch people in the face for either over-using them or misusing them. The current ones I dislike that are currently popular are "Epic", "Epic win/fail" and all the different ones that people come up with.

Dropping your lipgloss on the floor and saying: "OMG That was such an epic fail!" is NOT an epic fail. That is just you having severe motor difficulty. >_>

If you want to learn them regardless, then you can go on reddit or imgur. Most of the stuff on there are reposts from "that website". Just a relatively more safe version.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote