Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #1 
smellsfishie

The DATING game!!!!

Meet Lula!!!!! A stunning female Tiger HMPK who hails from Thailand! Lula is looking for a gentle male who won't nip her too much :} and will make beautiful black/blue and yellow splotched/striped babies with white bodies. Can she find what she is looking for? There is only one way to find out.... LET'S PLAY THE DATING GAME!!!

Our first bachelor comes from Thailand, at age 3.5 mo he is a "fancy OHMPK"... Not a "Tiger" per se, he defines his best quallities as his coloration and being a PK. He enjoys swimming and making bubbles. Meet bachelor # 1!!

Our next bachelor hails from Thailand... He is 3.5 months old, a "blue yellow tiger fancy halfmoon". With his dashing blue stripes, all the ladies are sure to swoon over this guy... meet BACHELOR # 2!!!!!!!!

Last but not least, this HMPK comes from Thailand. Strictly business, we know nothing of his age, but we do know where to send payment by paypal!! Say hellooooo, to Tiger Bachelor # 3!!!!!

BUT WAIT!! What's this? Another bachelor has surfaced! This fancy PK comes from Thailand, as well, with no age or information listed. Could he be a match made in heaven? Meet bachelor # 4!!

So, audience............. Who should she choose?? Bachelor # 1, Bachelor #2, Bachelor #3, orrrr Bachelor #4?!?!?!??!

Last edited by smellsfishie; 05-01-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Fun. :P
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Bad anal on the first male.

Second male is nice but if the female is a short fin you will not get any short fins in the first generation and you could end up with shorter caudals (which I like but may not be to standard). You'll need an F2 to achieve what your looking for.

3rd male is nice, much better anal fin. I would email the breeder for more information on age, etc.

4th male is pretty but I would ask for a flaring shot before ever clicking the bid button. Also keep in mind that if your female is big a DT may not be able to wrap her because of his shortened body. From what I can tel his form looks nice but I think you could find a DTHMPK with better fins.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #3 
smellsfishie

Interesting! Are you a breeder? What is an F2?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 
smellsfishie

blue hmpk?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #5 
smellsfishie

Oh, and is the first guy's anal bad because it is not pointed at the end, correctly?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #6 
gmd1800

A F2 is basically a second generation. (I'm not a breeder, just an extremely geeky biology major )

Say you crossed your female with a male, the spawn that results is the F1 generation. Then you crossed your spawn (say, brother and sister). That spawn is the F2 generation, and so on.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
smellsfishie

Ohhh, i gotcha! Hey we are both from Rochester. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #8 
BlueHaven

Bachelor # 4!!!
:D

haha

They are all so pretty.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #9 
smellsfishie

I think so, too! I'm having a hard time deciding! But, there may be a completely different boy out there for her, too. :)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

The first male's anal is incorrect because the bottom edge is not straight. Ideally the edge would taper straight down into a point. There was an article about anals in show plakats in FLARE! the other month that was quite interesting and it mentioned avoiding anals like that if possible. See the 3rd male's anal? Its nice and straight, you want it to look more like that.

However, don't let one fault detract from the entire fish. Its a bad picture of your female to judge her fins but if she has a very straight anal you could probably be fine going with the first male.

An F2 is a second generation like previously said. However, if the male you choose for the female is a sibling then the spawn you would have would be an F2 already.

Basically you take two unrelated fish and spawn them. That spawn is an F1 (basically there's no "inbreeding"). You take fish from the F1 spawn and either spawn them with siblings or back to the parents. The spawn resulting from those breedings would be F2s (at least that is how I understand it). And so on and so forth. You normally want to start looking for out crosses by F5 or F6 I believe.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote