Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #1 
Perplexed

Question Is Jesse's behaviour normal?

helo I have a CT named Jesse, I've had him for about 3 months now.
He's in a 7.5 litre tank and i change his water once-twice a week. I check his water quality for Ph, hardness, nitrite and nitrate - and they are always ok
When i first got him, he used to spread his fins more
Nowadays he hardly does it at all - his dorsal fin and tail is always clamped, but his anal fin is often spread. He doesn't seem unhappy though, he eats well, i don't overfeed him (only 2-3 pellets a day, with 1-2 fasting days/week)

But the other thing is he's not very active. he is always hiding in his cave. he just lies in his cave, like he's sleeping, for many hours. But when i approach, and he realises i'm there, he comes swimming out to greet me and nips at water, looking for food. But if i walk away... he retreats back to his cave. Is this normal?
For comparison, my other Betta, Jack, (a veil tail) is so active, always swimming round and round. and His fins are flowing and spread. I'm looking after both my bettas the same, same feeding and water change regimen... except I've only had Jack half the amount of time I've had Jesse

Can anybody offer any advice about Jesse? I'll try and post some photos of Jesse to give you an idea

Thank you
Perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #2 
lalalaura

Do you have a heater in his tank? If you don't his water may be too cold, which leads to less active bettas.

Do you have lights on the tank? The lights may be too strong and he doesn't like them. I don't have lights on any of my betta's tanks anymore after noticing they were hiding in dark places a lot.

It's a good sign that he comes out to greet you though. Maybe if there were more activity around his tank he would be more active. You seem to be doing everything right and if he doesn't have any signs of disease or anything you should just try different things to see what may be wrong.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 
denaliwind

Clamped fins is a sign that somethings wrong. Water quality and temp may have something to do with that. What is the water temperature? How often do you do water changes? Have you checked your water levels lately (amonia levels?)? It could also be shock, something that can be caused by a rapid change in PH or a sign of an illness like ich or velvet. Putting him in a cup and inspecting him closely for any abnormalities like white spots, gold dust, stringy or fluffy things might help you determine what's wrong. Shining a flash light on him might help you see better.

Last edited by denaliwind; 05-02-2011 at 11:31 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #4 
Perplexed

hi lalaluara
No, ive checked his water temp -it's 26degC- which i'm told is perfect. the lighting is only on for 6 hrs a day and it's only low level lighting.I have plants in there so it needs some light- i dont think thats making him unhappy

denaliwind- see my first post re water changes etc. I do them frequently. Have just done another one today. Have checked all my water parameters repeatedly- they're all ok
I've inspected his body for signs of disease- cant find any

I'm suck... hence i'm asking for help or any other advice?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #5 
Perplexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
I'm suck... hence i'm asking for help or any other advice?
I meant "stuck"!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #6 
Perplexed

Unhappy Jesse

This was jesses when i first got him
Name:  IMG_0477.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  108.3 KB

This is him about 2 weeks ago
Name:  IMG_0619.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  107.5 KB

And this is him now... see how he hides in his cave? I'm so worried about him!

Name:  IMG_0553.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #7 
lalalaura

That is a perfect temperature. Do you have any other resting places in the tank for him besides the cave? He could be overwhelmed with all the space in his tank and wants to feel more secure in a smaller space.

His fins look closed. My bettas sometimes look like that and other times they open up their fins to show me how pretty they are. They all have different personalities so maybe your betta is more lazy and laid back.

I would keep an eye on him though. If he constantly looks like that there may be something wrong. Look for any signs that denaliwind mentioned.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #8 
gbose

Have you checked your ammonia? I suggest that as a first step, way before PH, etc. If you see any ammonia, start 50% water changes straight away.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote