Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #1 
Zakura

Will this be good for a Betta?

I'm not sure if this topic should go here or in the subforum for Anabantids, so I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. ^_^;

After my "Bettas in a jar?" topic, I went out and bought some supplies for my future Betta fish. I ended up getting a five gallon acrylic bow-front tank kit, which included the tank, a hood which houses an incandescent 15 watt light bulb, a Tetra Micro filter with a bio-bag cartridge, and a trial sample of some water conditioner. I also bought four pounds of gravel, a plastic plant, a small fake coral piece, some Hikari Bio-Gold Betta Food, and freeze dried bloodworms.

According to everything I've read here and on other sites, I'd also need a heater, net, test kits for Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia, something along the lines of a siphon, and a thermometer. I'd also need to get more water-conditioner, I'd think; I doubt the little trial packet will last very long. But do I really need ALL of this stuff? For example, are the testing kits THAT important? Do I need a siphon for a tank that small, or can I just do water changes by scooping out some water with buckets? I also don't know if I really need a heater and thermometer...I live in eastern Pennsylvania, and the weather here is hot and humid during the summer and generally pretty cold in the winter, and due to the placement of my room, the temperature of the tank that the room is in can be anywhere from cold to hot.

I might be getting my fish today, and naturally I want to make sure I've got the right things for my fish. My tank is at the point where I just need to add conditioned water to be ready (I think, anyway). So anyway...will this be good for a Betta?

I have a pic of my tank. It's kinda big, so I'm posting a thumbnail...just click on it if you want to see the full image. I rinsed the plants, decor, and gravel in water before putting it in, but there's currently no water in the tank.

Zakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #2 
Amphitrite

Hi Zakura, your tank is looking good :)

To answer a few of your queries - I would advise that you get more water conditioner, a liquid test kit and a net. I would also recommend the gravel vac, as this will clear any fish waste/uneaten food from the gravel. Otherwise you will end up with a buildup of waste at the bottom of the tank.

I would definitely recommend a thermometer - as you will want to watch out for fluctuations in water temperature which can be harmful to the fish.

Good luck with the betta :)
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #3 
Zakura

Thank you for the reply! I will be sure to get the items that you listed. :D
Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #4 
leifthebunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyoup
I would definitely recommend a thermometer - as you will want to watch out for fluctuations in water temperature which can be harmful to the fish.
I would definitely agree with this. I've got a 6g which spikes quite a bit because of the low volume of water.

Before you get your fish, I would recommend filling your tank with water and letting it run for a full day just to make sure everything is running fine. Also helps balance out the temps so you can treat it before you add fish and to clear up the water as it will be cloudy for anywhere from 1 to 7 days.
leifthebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #5 
Zakura

Okie dokie...I've just finished putting in the water and the conditioner. I've just installed the filter and it seems to be running fine. I put in warm water and a thermometer that my mom had in her tank (the koi and goldfish are outside right now), so I'll let that sit for a bit and see how warm my water is. I think the light on the tank will be able to keep it warm, but I'll see.

Also, just how hardy are Bettas? My moms kept goldfish and koi in a tank with water that was just treated with conditioner...the only testing kit she has is for pH. Are the Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia readings truly important? I fear that purchasing testing kits for all three may prove expensive, but I haven't looked so I could be wrong. If they're a bit pricey, I'm wondering if my Betta will be alright without me constantly on top of the levels of Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia?

Thanks for the help so far! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #6 
Amphitrite

Hi Zakura,

I would definitely invest in a test kit - it will be necessary to test the water - especially until the tank matures. You can purchase a master test kit from API which contains liquid tests for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It is a little pricey, but lasts for a very long time.

Avoid using test strips, as the readings on these are less accurate.

Oh - and best of luck. Keeping asking questions - no matter how small or insignificant they seem - we are all here to help you along the way :)
Amphitrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #7 
Zakura

Thanks for the advice. I do hope my LFS has the master kit that you are talking about. It does in fact seem like it's worth the price, from what I've found on Google. :p

And thanks for the luck! I can always use as much as I can get. :D
Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #8 
MattD

Definitely get the heater, it will keep the temperature stable, as it uses a thermostat to regulate the temperature. Get the thermometer to make sure the temperature is correct. Correct stable temperature is essential to keep your Betta comfortable, and stress-free (make sure your water changes are done properly temperature-wise to prevent any fluctuations, your tank is small). The siphon is not necessarily solely to siphon water - it also acts as a vacuum for the gravel, which is essential when it comes to maintaining water quality. Also a clean substrate is generally healthier for the fish too (should your Betta lounge on the floor, wouldn't want a nasty infection to occur should he cut himself).

Might I ask which inserts are in the nano filter? A bio-bag is excellent for the colonization of essential bacteria, however you should also provide mechanical filtration and chemical (a sponge to catch debris - or floss in this case of a nano filter, and possibly a carbon insert, which would be in the form of a small sheet for a nano filter). I'm glad to hear you invested in a nano filter instead of those poor under gravel filters which are inferior imo.

Definitely pick up more water conditioner - it will be a key tool in water changes, as chlorine and chloramine will not only harm your fish, but any of the good bacteria you worked so hard to build in your filter. Also, try and get some stuff to boost the cycling process (possibly Cycle, a decent product which will fit your budget). Also some waste dissolving chemicals, it will help your tank cope with the waste at first.

A liquid test kit is essential imo. It allows you to understand what's happening with your water, and gives you a very clear picture of the quality. Crucial when it comes to determining why your fish is acting funny, not eating, being lethargic etc...

Nice tank, a fine environment for your Betta. The choice of food is superb, Hikari produces excellent food, especially for Bettas (I read in a Betta book that they go wild for Hikari food specifically). Bloodworms are also a favored treat, expect a frenzy when you drop them in the tank.

You seem willing enough to keep up with the maintenance, I expect many bubble nests to be made! :D :D

Good luck, and post pictures when you pick him up!! :) :)
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #9 
Zakura

Thanks MattD, you gave me a lot of good reasons why I should purchase everything. I think my mom may have a siphon...she keeps telling me I won't need it for a tank this small but I want to keep everything clean.

I'll probably invest in a heater if they're able to keep the temperature stable. That's a big concern for me considering how small the tank is, and I'm sure the fluctuation of the temperatures in my room won't help much, either. I'll also be getting a new thermometer, as I'm not sure how accurate my mom's is.

I'm not sure what inserts are in the filter. It's whatever came with the kit, really. I know it's a bio-bag, but I think that's it. I haven't had much experience with filters, so I guess I'll have to look at it later. ^_^;

I'll have to look into the Cycle and waste dissolving chemicals. I saw Cycle at Wal-Mart...not sure about the latter, though. I'm glad I picked good food. I really want only the best for my Betta. *nods*

Thanks again for the advice! I'll be sure to post pictures when I get my Betta! ^_^
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #10 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
I'm impressed with your plans, Zakura.;) Best of luck.:D
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote