Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 
phoenix91

Worried about my lethargic fish

I'm on my phone & can't figure out how to copy the sticky info but I'll try and include everything here.

My ct is in a 3 g tank with a filter & heater. Heater is set at 80. Fed twice aday, 2 pellets each feeding except Sunday when he gets nothing. Normally I do 1 100% change & 1 1/3rd change per week. The water is conditioned and i dont have aeration.

Yesterday idid 100% change & added a new heater to the tank as the old one over heated a few weeks back & I just didnt trust it any more.

So today I've noticed Oji is lethargic and has spent a good part of theday resting; is this normal? He's usually pretty active but today he isn't. He's going up for air and jumped up when I tested the ammonia levels (just in case). It's at about .25 which seems to be normal for my water supply.

is he just having an off day or could it be something else?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #2 
Harley

Is your tank cycled? I'm assuming its not if you're doing 100% changes. In a cycled tank (w/ filter) you should only have to do 50% changes once a week. Uncycled ( w/o filter) you need to do 50% changes twice a week. Its possible your fish has ammonia poisoning. Three of the main symptoms are gasping for air at the surface, resting and lethargy. Have you been doing tests for Ph, nitrites and nitrates (preferably with a liquid test kit)? If so what are the values?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #3 
phoenix91

It's not cycled. it has a filter. i had to take out all of the water because the shelf the tank is on had to be moved to get a wire out (old heater), so i had to completely drain the tank to move it.

i have a liquid test kit and have been testing it but didn't yesterday. normal values are 0 for nitrites and nitrates and the ph is around 7.4.

He's not rally gasping for air, he just swimming up taking a breath and then going back to rest in the same spot again. when i go to check on him he swims up and wiggles like normal, he's also eating fine. i don't see any physical reasons for illness, bumps or spots or fluff or anything.

How can he have ammonia poisoning if the ammonia is always around .25? even after i've done a large water change the level is this high, it's like this in my other tank too. i just assumed that the water from the tap had this level, i guess i should test my tap water with the test kits too. what can i do to lower it if this is the case?

my tank is filtered and has live plants which are doing fine.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 
phoenix91

Anyone else have any help?

Updated info: I did a water change and plan to do one every day until he perks up. He doesn't have any stripes on his sides, his fins are not clamped and he is swimming up for air regularly. He's still going back to rest on the bottom behind his log. I checked the ammonia again and it's between 0- 0.25, it's hard to tell but it looks more yellow than green.

i'm going to cut back his feeding to 1 pellet am and 1 pm.

anything else i should do? it's frustrating not knowing why he's ill.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 
roadrunner

Do you also have a thermometer to check temperature?

Last edited by roadrunner; 05-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #6 
phoenix91

Yes, the tank is at 80.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #7 
roadrunner

How long have you had betta? Have you done anything different before you noticed change? Do you make sure that when you change water that the temperature is close to 80?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #8 
phoenix91

I've had him about a month and a half. on saturday (the big water change day when he started to act strange) i did do things differently. I had to empty the tank and move it so i could get the wire of the old heater out from behind the shelf. then i added a new heater. After i put the shelf back and added the new heater and water i let it sit for a while to get up to temperature as i had been messing around with the shelf for a while.

Then i put his cup in and let him get up to temp then acclimatised him like i normally do after a big change.

I thought maybe the new heater might be affecting him, but if anything the temp is more stable now than it's been in a while.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #9 
roadrunner

He may be just in a little shock from major change. I know most people keep the temperature around 78F. I have my bettas in stable room temperature (72-74) and they are doing great for years. My oldest betta was around 5 years old and currently I have one 3+ years old and still going strong.
I know you have only 3G and smaller tanks are harder to cycle, but you may want to look into it. Water changes will be easier for you and for your betta.

Oh and I forgot to add. If he still eats, I would feed him as usual. Make sure he has good balanced diet with lots of protein.

Last edited by roadrunner; 05-02-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #10 
phoenix91

I hope thats all it is. like i said i'll plan on doing the smaller water changes to see if that perks him up. He's still eating, yesterday he was jumping for his food which i'm taking as a good sign.

I read that smaller tanks were harder to cycle but i can give it a go. i'm doing a fish in cycle with my little vt female and am also doing a fishless cycle for a dwarf puffer tank i'm setting up.

If putting the temp down a few degrees would help i could do that. maybe even just 1 degree down as it's at 80 right now. i could do the temp changes over a few days to make it easier on him.

i forgot to say i checked on him over lunch and his colour is nice and strong, he was a little pale yesterday but his colour has come back. he's still sitting on the bottom on the tank though.

Last edited by phoenix91; 05-02-2011 at 03:32 PM.