Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #1 
tfranc

Unhappy 4 new rescues please help

Hi, I went to the pet store to buy a siphon for my 10 g tank w/ 4 gorgeous males ( all separated of course). When I saw 3 fishies that looked so sad and depressed and sick in those tiny cups, a female with some cotton on the top of her head, more like a strand rather than a clump, but still there. A male with a bloated belly that cant keep straight, when he tries to rest he goes sideways and has trouble swimming, but very active, and another male that is pale as can be, with black on the tips of his fins, not sure if its fin rot of not, doesnt look like its eating away at him. and Last but not least a tiny and I do mean a tiny crowntail, who seems to have white velvetty/cotton looking things on top of his eyes, has a bloated tummy, and most likely fin rot... so as you can see I really need some back up knowing how to save them please.

I started the CT on Maracyn-2 and aq salt. same for the female w/ the cotton, and the pale male that has the black tips on his fins. I hope this helps them. I have the bloated male that has trouble swimming in clean water with AQ salt, I have no idea how to make him better, please I really need help with him.

I have two pictures, one is of the tiny CT and the other is of the male that has trouble staying straigh, he is resting against the container so he isnt too sideways, but please help.

They are each in a small container (Tupperware) with about a half teaspoon of AQ salt, some withe the Myracin2 and the other is just w the AQ salt. The female ate 2 pellets earlier and 2 right now, the pale male also ate about 2 pellets all together, the male thats bloated did not eat, and the CT did not eat either.
Their water temp is about 70 -72 degrees, buts i don't have 4 heaters, nor tanks to put them in so I cant make it any higher :( the water was just changed since I got them today, and they have plastic easter eggs to hide in, the type that have two halves so they wont get stuck anywhere.

Thank you.
Attached Images

tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2 
carzz

Dang.... You want to come to my walmart fish killing store? You'd leave with about 15 new nearly dead fish :( I can't buy them all, but do long for it.... :(
I'd say do water changes every day @ 100% and get some of the 2.5(?) sized aquariums for each, made by aquaon? Some silk plants, and real plants... But I'd keep them in just the QT tank for right now.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #3 
newbie32

You may want to try to PM Old Fish Lady. She's very knowledgable and helpful. I believe Thunderloon and iheartbettas were very helpful for me when my fish was sick as well. If I'm leaving anyone out, it's unintentional. i just can't remember all the screen names of all the helpful people!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Poor little fish... I would try to get the temperature up a little bit...I used a heat lamp for awhile to keep my QT. tanks warm..I set the lamp up over them but not directly ontop of them..somewhat above..just to keep the area warmer. If you decide to do this just make sure to have a thermometer in their containers so they dont overheat you mayhave to adjust the distance on the lamp.You could also get those bowl buddy heating pads... Or use a heating pad underneathe their containers...
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-HEATER-A...4446252&sr=1-1
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #5 
Luimeril

OFL will know how to best treat that evil cotton! >:O she tried to help me when i had Remy, but he was far too gone. D: i've not been on here long enough to know if anyone else can help, but everyone referred me to OFL. :d i hope your new friends get better fast!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #6 
tfranc

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments.
The female with the cotton seems to have gotten better with the antibiotic, the cotton separated from her body, but funny part is that she somehow managed to jump into the pale male's container and they were sharing that most of the night I assume, luckily no harm came to either of them, i just wonder how she made it past her cover... weird... if anyone has any info on how to help the guy swimming sideways I would greatly appreciate it, I really want to make sure he lives.

Thank you
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #7 
newbie32

the one with the bloated belly that can't stay upright might have swim bladder disease. you should search the forum. plenty of other people have had that problem and there will be a wealth of information relating to its treatment on here.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #8 
roadrunner

That's so nice you saved those poor fish. They are so lucky and I hope they will recover and have long healthy lives.
The only downfall is, if people like you will keep buying sick fish, walmart will keep selling them. I know it may sound cruel to suggest not to buy sick fish, but in the long run it can save lots of bettas.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #9 
tfranc

hi roadrunner, I completely understand what you mean, I keep thinking about that, but I don't buy them from walmart, I got them from petsmart, and I just can't help it, I saved 4 others already and they are the greatest little guys on earth, I never thought something so small can make your life so great, I just could not leave them there to die knowing that I can try and get them better. Bu thank you for the comment, I completely know where u are coming from.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #10 
tfranc

well my tiny CT did not make it :( he passed away a few minutes ago... at least he got to swim and be loved for 2 days...