I just bought my first CT betta fish yesterday. He assumingly young, since he is smaller then most betta fish I have seen. [ His name is Rain..Short for Rainbow. He is mostly Blue, green, but with a little bit of red and purple. ]
He swims around every so often, but he's slow.... He hides a lot. In different areas so I know he is exploring.. But I'm scared since he doesn't seem to be eating much. I've seen him eat once or twice.. But not as much as I know Bettas are known to eat.
He just kind of hangs out at the bottom most of the time. I find myself every so often running over to him to make sure he's even still alive. :(
I'm not sure if he's just resting or not.
-Heater [ at about 74degrees. ]
-Tap water conditioned.
- 2 fake plants
- 2 small/medium sized decorations.[ one of which he seems to of gotten very attached to. ]
- Currently has no AQ salt but I will be getting some soon!
- I haven't been able to test the water, I couldn't afford the testers when I went. :(
- Food : Freeze dried bloodworms[?, I believe that's what they are called.]
- I dropped in a small goldfish pellets..[soaked first.] Just to see if he would eat them, since he wouldn't eat the bloodworms. He actually ate a few. This suprised me since I heard they don't like pellets.....Plus they're for goldfish.
I ran the filter for a few days before getting him, and dropped food in; I read somewhere you can build up the good bacteria? Or something of that sort....
Right now the filter is not on. Doesn't seem to like it since it's a strong one, and he's small. It kinda just pushes him around..
I'm worried if he is stressed/depressed, or sick.
If he's just stressed, I'm not sure if it's just because of the major change from going from a small cup on a petstore shelf to the tank he has now.
I also wanted to test if he would even flare his tail....So I held the mirror up for a moment. He did not flare. He just looked for a moment then turned around. I didn't hold it up for long since I didn't want to put him in more stress.:( This was probably a bad idea but the outcome of the test just worries me further.