Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #1 
EndlessUnicorns

Good filter for divided 10 gallon?

Well, I'm a betta newbie and just recently set up a divided 10 gallon tank. It's the Biowheel LED kit, and seems to be really nice! The water is at 80 degrees and the bettas are apparently doing fine (though are still getting used to being so close! >:P Angry little moppets, they are!)

However, it came with a Penguin Biowheel 100 filter. Although I've heard it's really nice, I think it's too much for my fishies. :( Captain Brigham, who is on the side containing the filter, can hardly swim straight when it's on! He looks MUCH happier when it's off. I think I need something with a more gentle flow..(and preferably, quiet..)

Does anyone know of a good filter? I was considering purchasing a whisper filter...though I'm a bit skeptical. My betta was in a 5 gal tank with one. I left for 3 days, and when I returned half of the water had spilled onto the floor and ruined a lot of books. I don't know if it was the filter or not, but I'm a bit skeptical..:(

If anyone could help this newbie, I will be eternally thankfull!! :)
EndlessUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 
sjones

you may be able to adjust the flow of the filter by pulling up the intake valve (if there is one on that model) and baffling the filter-I did this for my filter-much better
check out this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=filter+baffle

Last edited by sjones; 05-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
TonyK

I am running that same exact filter. What I did is I put a piece of foam over the intake tube and baffled the out take with a piece of foam. My betta can swim where the water flows out and doesn't push on him at all. How long have you been running the filter? It takes a couple of days for the Bio wheel to get saturated with water for it to quiet down. If you need I can take a pic of the filter and post it up for you.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 
EndlessUnicorns

Thank you both! I'll check the threat out.

And TonyK, I would love to see your setup, it sounds interesting!
That might be the problem about the noise, too...I haven't had it for too long, a couple of days maybe.
EndlessUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #5 
TonyK

Here is my setup. The intake is hard to see because I have a black background and the foam is black. When I did this it really slowed the flow down so know problem for the betta. I will get you the part number for the foam piece its for some Fluval filter. When I first setup the filter it was loud and the tank is in my bedroom. At first I thought it was a huge mistake but, it has become pretty quiet.

Here is the piece I use on the intake. It just slips right over the endpiece of the filter. This also is protection for the Betta so he or his fins won't get sucked into the filter

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

Last edited by TonyK; 05-03-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Add something else to post
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #6 
Neil D

I use a baffled whisper 5-15. The outlet and inlet must be baffled. It has worked amazingly for the past 3 years or so. Good luck !
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

Due to variances in manufacture its usually not a good idea to use more than an intake pre-filter sponge. These Penguin B filters rely on water flow to operate the bio-wheel and if you lower the flow too far without creating a new water-gate (simple) to the bio-wheel you risk the wheel stopping.

Generally diffusing the output flow is better than retarding it. A rough sponge does the job nicely and adds biology. If you're only supporting a couple male betta you can get away with removing the bio-wheel and using a sponge in its place then you can restrict the intake flow.

IIRC the entire back side of the ten gallon marineland kits are open for putting the filter where you want it, so you can aim it out over the divider (would have to trim a notch in the divider) and then strap whatever flow retarders you like onto the divider without loss of performance. This will provide out-put into both sides as well. (Stick the heater on the opposite side of the divider from the intake so they're side-by-side for a tight-n-tidy. There's a gap up under the filter's output/flow channel over the side of the tank!)

The bio-wheel performs aeration of the water, never needs to be replaced (I've got a three year old one that works great) and grows nitrifying bacteria that are much more resistant to antibiotics and water quality. Its worth keeping in the filter if you can do the out-put diffusion.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 05-07-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, betta, betta fish, filter, tank