Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 
Smile4Me2Night

Exclamation At my wits end here!!

Alright, My third attempt at spawning has failed

I at the moment have 6 Males I can use and 2 females, I have 2-3 more females coming on Thursday.

They are all from Petco or Walmart or my other LFS.

They are all healthy and in 1.5+ gallon tanks.

So far I know for sure 3 out of the 6 males make bubble nests and spawns. The one CT I have stopped caring for the eggs and nest and ate a few eggs. The one VT male ate ALL the eggs. and the one DT ate ALL the eggs.

I know for sure my VT Female spawns successfully, but my Cambodian CT has yet to spawn.

I am using the this method, http://www.atisonbetta.com/breeding1.asp
The only difference is I am using a heater to keep the water heated to 80 deg.

So am I doing something wrong?

Is there a way I can hatch the eggs without a male?
Smile4Me2Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #2 
youlovegnats

Have you tried only spawning the males once? Was it their first time? For my male CT, after his first time, he ate all the eggs because they weren't fertilized correctly (or at all). I was watching him hug around the female's head instead of her belly xD !
I would try again instead of just once. Maybe because they were first-timers, they didn't get things exactly right. *shrug* I tried again with my CT and the eggs are now more than he can handle! haha. SO MANY BABIES! @__@;
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 
Smile4Me2Night

Im at my second try with my first male now :O Im hoping the female cooperates :D I love the Cambodians Theyre soo pretty :3

So right now Ive got my Cambodian CT female with my DT Male in the tub, I hope they spawn :D
Smile4Me2Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would use a different method....that method can be a challenge even for the most experienced....

Get a 10 gal tank-fill to the top with water, add lots and lots of live plants, a few common snails, heater 80F....keep the breeders in separate containers (76F) so that they can't see each other and neither in the spawning tank and feed mass amounts of live foods for 7-10 days and then add both the breeders to the spawning tank and watch them spawn-you don't have to wait on the nest-he will build it as he gets the eggs....however, spawning is not the problem- it is egg eating.....this can be due to stress as well and if this methods doesn't help....then you need to find different males...some are just egg eaters and not much you can do.....

Yes, you can artificial hatch the eggs-I use a small container that I float in a heated tank (80F) I add floating plants and 1 tiny snail to help eat any fungus eggs
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I double both youlovegnats and OFL.

Give your male second and perhaps third chances in a larger planted tank. Make it as close to its natural habitat as possible. You can take out the plants when you take out the male (if you find it hard to see your fry).

I artificially hatch similarly to OFL - use a cereal plastic bowl (about 10cm/4" in diameter), 1" water, put eggs into it and spread it out as best as possible, then float it in a large warm tank then cover to keep it warm. Good eggs will hatch. In 1-2 days, take out the bad eggs and slowly add 1" of water. Once they're free swimming, I acclimate them to a larger tank/tub.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote