Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #1 
laughing

Bettas= Good for the heart b/c of their heart-attacking inducing behaviors.

Cleaned my girl's tank today. Had her in a cup. General routine, her sitting there on the counter and all. Sit down to wait for the hot water to kill bacteria in the tank, get up, look into her cup, . Not there... AHH! I freak out, can't find her ANYWHERE. Now I think she's gone down the drain and basically burst into tears. Thank goodness my mom found her. She was wedged between the edge of the sink and the counter corner. SHE LIVES!

Within hours later, guess who disappears, AGAIN? This time, in her tank! I get really sick thinking she got sucked into her filter. And what's worse is I know she enjoys hiding in the rock so I was nervous to move anything around in fear of shifting something and crushing her. I slowly move some rock and WHOOSH! She comes shooting up from underneath her substrate. She scared me sooo bad!! I flung water everywhere basically... How can a little fishy hide for 10 minutes?!

Sheesh... Do your bettas scare you, too??

P.s. Now I know to make make-shift lids with seran wrap w/ holes EVERY time I take her out!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I have 4 Bettas now, the only one who jumps is my new Pineapple guy. He jumped when I changed his water because I had him in a very small bowl that wasn't covered, and stupidly set him down by one of my other fish while I messed around with his tank. Luckily he jumped on the table and I got to him right away! (He seems to be a very angry Betta... beautiful, but angry lol)

To answer your question, yes he scared the bejesus out of me!

I hope your girl is ok from her scary experience! (and you too lol)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #3 
laughing

I'm still recovering! I took a personal day today anyhow. Got a lot of fishy related stuff done(:

She's all good. I think her "ear" fin on her right side I believe is missing, but she's maneuvering fine. I have her in nice, warm water with some aquarium salt now. She acts like nothing happened. >.<

Lol @ "Beautiful, but angry!" Do you have pics of him??
Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I was looking into Aki's tank because I could not find him anywhere in it. I see him by the bamboo I blink and he's gone. I find him laying at the bottom and I tap on the glass....He doesnt move and I begin to panic mildly thinking: "Oh god...He better not be dead." Tap even harder and don't let him rest on the bottom again by feeding him some flakes. He finally caught on that his silk plant was catching his flakes. He seems to be doing more self damage to his fins too....Ugh I need to buy AQ salt. I'm gonna have my mom fish sit when I go to anime club tomorrow and make sure that those two don't do anything stupid.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #5 
gmd1800

Last night, "Hestia" (I still need to find a new name for him!) decided to explore his filter. He swam inside it. One second, he was looking at it, the next, his tail was waving from inside of it. Filter got shut off immediately and I tipped it over to find a blackened little plakat. That fish is going to be the death of me.

He jumped out of his tank a couple of months ago and shredded his anal fin. It grew back beautifully, however.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #6 
orphansparrow

omg! that does sound like a scary day for you!

i once had a betta jump right out of his net when i was trying to transfer him into his clean tank. he fell onto the floor which was a high pile carpet. his fins were all kind of molded into the carpet, and i was so scared to pick him up for fear of tearing his fins! i just sat there, panicked, pouring water onto his body. haha! i finally figured out that using my fingers was the best way to gently pry him out of the carpet. geez, they do give you mini heart-attacks huh?
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 
laughing

She has both fins!! :D Some AQ salt and warm water really cheered her up. Plus, she has her new 2.5 LIGHTED tank!! WHOOT! Her filter outtake is really light, too. She's enjoying herself(:

Oh goodness! Your stories are terrifying! If I ever saw her swimming into the filter she'd have a good talking to ;) She likes the bubbles her old filter made better than the filter, LOL!