Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #11 
Neil D

The vac is about ten bucks. Im just making sure ur not thinking of some fancy electric vacuum. That's what I did at first, then I looks on YouTube:)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #12 
HayrideHaunter

yeah but I literally don't have ten bucks -.-...none of us do...my dad and I are both in college...he's not working yet, and what work I have I'm saving every penny for tuition...rather expensive stuff...so I have 4 adults in my house (my uncle lives with us, and I'm an adult) and my little brother...money is tight. Thanks for telling me though, I'll look into it if I get a few extra bucks =)
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

A small gravel vac is not 10 bucks... more like $5... plus you can get 25ft of air line hose and chopsticks for about $3 add some rubberbands and you've got a great siphon.

The tank obviously isn't cycled which means the ammonia in there is probably really bad. Doing weekly water changes is probably all that really needs to be done. Also, the fish you mentioned are tropicals and would probably do better at 77-78*F instead of 75.

What and how much are they being fed?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #14 
HayrideHaunter

flakes...and it used to be WAY too much but my parents have reduced it...now they're getting two pinches a day...I just finished a 40% water change...turns out theres no conditioner to be seen...so I'll convince my folks to get some...right now I have Aqueon betta bowl plus...would it be safe to put at least a little of that in until we can get stuff that isn't betta-specific? I just wanna make sure its okay for guppies.

As far as the vaccuum...I dont honestly think my parents will go for that...but the water changes they agreed to and conditioner will probably be fine too
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

You have to siphon the waste out or its not going to be any help. Eventually the waste is going to build up and you'll have ammonia despite doing water changes.

Any water dechlorinator will work. Betta specific ones are just a gimmick for sales and aren't any different from generic dechlorinators.

Down the road when you run out of the flakes I suggest you go with NLS community formula pellets. They're a great pellet and much easier to feed without over feeding.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #16 
CyerRyn

A syphon is a super time saver! It's helpful in not just water changes, but helping to get rid of the poo and excess food at the bottom that the filter doesn't take care of especially if your tank is divided. I'd strongly recommend getting one eventually. Mine only cost me $5 for a 6ft. The water conditioner is going to run you around $4-5 so definitely get that first! Another natural way of keeping the ammonia and nitrates down would be to get some live plants in there like Anacharis are my fave. Easy to take care of and cheap. (like $2.50/bundle)

*Edit* Ahah! 1fish2fish beat me !! ;)
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #17 
HayrideHaunter

guys...I WILL get a vaccuum eventually alright? I can't right now...for various reasons...one being that my parents (like many) are set in their ways, and having their daughter tell them how to take care of a fish is not the best conversation to have. I'll keep up with weekly water changes and get them to buy conditioner (or just use mine) and I'll net out what waste I can, that will have to do for right now =(

Last edited by HayrideHaunter; 05-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #18 
CyerRyn

I don't think anyone here is trying to jump at you at this. No matter what the situation is, we're all merely stating facts to help you better understand what could be wrong and prevent any future fish deaths. I wish you the best of luck in what you can do to help. Do one step at a time, just really emphasize the water conditioner for now. ;)
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #19 
HayrideHaunter

@Cyer: yeah, I getcha...but I personally know enough to take perfect care of these fish...(that sounded really braggish...wasnt meant to o.O)...I just needed to get it from someone else to convince my PARENTS...I have my beautiful little CT, Marbles, and I take ridiculous care of him in his 2gal...I'm just trying to convince my parents of stuff -.-...water changes are good now..I'm doing them...conditioner comes next
Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #20 
Neil D

Yeah, parents can be like that I'm thirteen, I would know, and it sounds like u do too. But yeah, you can also stir up the gravel so a large portion of the poo is 'nettable' and some of it goes into the filter. Good Luck!

Last edited by Neil D; 05-05-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote