Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #1 
fosschick

Red face Tips on baffle for a Marineland Hex 5?

Right now I've got some moss strategically held in place at the filter output, as well as water sprite floating at the surface, which really helps, but when I drop a piece of food in (just for an example), I can still see it move around the surface. I'm worried this will prevent my little guy from bubblenesting. (I'm not looking to breed or anything, just wanting my fish to be happy.) I've also got just a little bit of hermit crab sponge at the bottom of the intake grate.

I'd love advice. I don't think my "solution" is the best one, although I was careful to adjust it until I didn't hear any motor strangeness. Also the bio-wheel is operating normally. I am not actually clogging the output with the moss, it's held in place just outside that area.

Before my modifications, it looked like my fish was riding a tidal wave when he went through the sweet spot where the output flowed. He needs still water.

How have other people baffled these tanks? I want his water to be as still as possible! Thanks in advance.
fosschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I have one, too, and can look for the pics of what I did.

I used plastic mesh, half of a plastic soap dish and fake plants rubber banded against the outtake to fix it :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66549
Pics are in this thread, towards the bottom.

You can also use aquarium sponge, which would be the best option.
Also consider slightly plugging up the intake. Itll help, too.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #4 
fosschick

Wow. Okay I'm just going to go all out with some trickery on this then, and probably rig up something involving aquarium sponge, plastic, and rubber bands.

Man this tank sucks for bettas.

Thank you so much for showing me your setup!!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

No problem! And eventually (in a few months of running) itll slow to the point where you dont need to have a baffle :D I didnt believe it when I read the manual, but it actually does.

If you can get the AQ sponge, you should be fine with just that. Jam a little bit into the intake, too, and voila.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #6 
fosschick

I re-adjusted the hermit crab sponge in the intake tube, and fussed about with the moss at the outtake, and voila! Still water. Actually what really helped was lowering the water level by about a centimeter after our PWC today. The water now pours out onto a thick clump of moss, and then slowly into the tank! :D Happy Rocko and happy mommy.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 
fosschick

Here's a pic. At the top, just right of the middle, you can see where the water is pouring in:

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Good job! I hope it works out well. It'll slow in a few months :)