Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #1 
swhitt

Finally got a new heater:)

I finally got the new heater for my fish tank due to the fact that the old one was not heating the tank enough. I bought a cheap heater, Elite Radiant 50watt, but it seems to be working a lot better than the Mini Hydor 7.5watt that I previously had.
Fishy has been moping around for the last couple of days, but I am hoping that the new heater will help him feel better. I am trying to get the temperature adjusted just right at the moment, but I will be trying to set it at around 80 degrees; not too hot but not too cold either. So far it seems to be heating perfectly, but I am having a hard time finding the right spot due to the fact that it does not have a temperature indicator on the heater itself.
Also, the snail that I had purchased seems to be doing great with Fishy. I was a little worried that Fishy would try anything to eat him, but he has left him alone. I was thinking about getting another snail, but I do not want little snails taking over the tank like my sister-in-law's snails did, lol.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #2 
Pekemom

You might want to get a thermometer for your tank, just to double check the heater.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #3 
Harley

This is the thermometer I use: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752255 . Its cheap and it works good.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
swhitt

I did buy a thermometer with the heater and I finally got it set perfectly. Sad to say though, Fishy passed away a couple days after I got the heater. He was looking gloomy and I wasn't sure what was wrong with him. He was perfectly fine one day and the next he was acting weird. I thought that it was due to the other heater that was not heating the tank well enough. He perked up a little bit after I got the new heater, but then died a couple days later:'( My son was constantly going up the the fish tank afterwards and saying "Ishy", so I ended up getting another Betta named Gaeta because my son was sad that the other one wasn't there anymore.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I am sorry for your loss of Fishy. :( In the future if you have a camera and are in doubt you can try posting in the emergency forum. You copy the sticky at the top and fill it out in your thread. Pictures help people diagnose what is wrong too if you aren't sure.

The people here helped save my moms fish who really looked like he was not going to make it. :) If you already knew all this sorry to re-post it at you.

I hope Gaeta enjoys her new home and the new heater! :D

Best wishes to you and your family!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote