Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #1 
baylee767

Thumbs down cyanobacteria problems

Oh the joys of cyanobacteria.

A couple of days ago I learned that I have a cyanobacteria bloom, not an algae bloom. It has killed all but 1 cory, and it is ugly and smelly as heck. It just doesn't make sense though! I do 2x weekly 25% water changes, and sometimes I'll forget and do 1x weekly 25% water changes. My stocking wasn't bad, 5 pygmy cories and a Betta. My guess is it has to do with that one time, months ago, when my dad bought a plant from my LFS and told me to plop it in the tank without washing it because he was impatient to get my tan cycled and he believed it would have some of the beneficial bacteria >.> My guess is it introduced cyanobacteria, because ever since then my tank has had a faint odor, and lately it has been stronger than usual.

So, since saterday I've been doing 2 gallon water changes a day. Before the water changes I scrub everything off the tank walls and mix the substrate crazily. It reapears the next day

I'm not going to add some kind of tank antibiotics, because then diseases resistant to them might pop up. How long should it take to get rid of the stuff using my current method? Or should I try another one?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #2 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Oh the joys of cyanobacteria.

A couple of days ago I learned that I have a cyanobacteria bloom, not an algae bloom. It has killed all but 1 cory, and it is ugly and smelly as heck. It just doesn't make sense though! I do 2x weekly 25% water changes, and sometimes I'll forget and do 1x weekly 25% water changes. My stocking wasn't bad, 5 pygmy cories and a Betta. My guess is it has to do with that one time, months ago, when my dad bought a plant from my LFS and told me to plop it in the tank without washing it because he was impatient to get my tan cycled and he believed it would have some of the beneficial bacteria >.> My guess is it introduced cyanobacteria, because ever since then my tank has had a faint odor, and lately it has been stronger than usual.

So, since saterday I've been doing 2 gallon water changes a day. Before the water changes I scrub everything off the tank walls and mix the substrate crazily. It reapears the next day

I'm not going to add some kind of tank antibiotics, because then diseases resistant to them might pop up. How long should it take to get rid of the stuff using my current method? Or should I try another one?
Weekly single 50% change as well as every few days do your sweeping.

When you clean your filter, take the whole thing to the sink and rinse it with as hot of hot water as you can get from the tap. Over and over a few times. You can also use a dousing in salted tap water (in a bucket, just run the filter in it a while) to sterilize inside the filter.

Generally when people think they have cyanobacterium infections its not actually cyanobacterium but other bacteria. I'm betting your water aeration is too low and you've got something "normal" eating the bottom feeders as well as the cyanobacterium. If you don't have an air stone and pump, just lower the running level of the tank so the falling water agitates.

Furan-2 isn't so much an antibiotic as a growth and reproduction inhibitor. It should also be fine for the fish and you don't have to worry about resistance. You can combine Furan-2 and Lifeguard (furan-2 is sold by Jungle/Tetra called Fungus Cure) in a tank without problems and its a fairly potent combination with very low fish impact.

Use a net and a bucket and clean all the rock out of the tank, do it gently. Just throw the rock out and buy new rock. Rocks are porous and can permanently harbor bacteria.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Low aeration or water movement, high organic load, poor cleaning, low CO2, overstocking, overfeeding, over cleaning......etc.......generally the balance is off and BGA pops up...I doubt the plant had anything to do with it or even the death of the corydoras per se', although it could have been what sent them over the edge...conditions have to be right for the BGA to take over.....I have planted plants from a BGA tank in a different tank because I needed that one plant and it didn't cause BGA in that tank....the right conditions for it to thrive wasn't in that tank.....

Best method I have found-manually remove the BGA with a siphon every day, increase water movement, deep substrate vacuum if you can, change the filter media, remove any baffle if one is used.....it can take 2-3 days to months to clear up....all depending on the root cause.......glad to hear you don't plan to use antibiotics....it may be faster but it often just comes back unless you fix the root cause......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #4 
baylee767

Ok, thanks everyone! I never knew about the aeration thing (Le'ts just say my filter baffle only let in about one bubble every 30 seconds, but my new baffle is just a piece of driftwood over the filter that slows the flow some)! I'll put in an air stone right away, as well as give the tank supreme water quality. Er, but I can't exactly use a vac in my substrate as it's azoo plant substrate (really expensive and it will all be sucked away as it is just light little balls of fertilizer covered in soil) So do you think I'll still be okay?

So I should clean out the filter and media? But wouldn't that destroy my cycle? Or would there be enough bacteria in the tank itself already? Thanks for your help so far!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Mass cleaning is going to effect the cycle.....once the BGA is gone-you will have to watch the numbers and make water changes as needed......you had 5 pygmy corydoras and a Betta in 5gal.....wow......

Its important to get the organic load decreased and let the filter run full blast without the baffle.......I would add lots of stem plants and some floating plants to help suck up some nutrients.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #6 
baylee767

Oh no, this is a 10 gal. Did I say 5? If I did it was a mistake

So I should get stem plants? The problem with that is that even though I've got 3 WPG CFL's, I only have 5000k's. I added a bunch of anarchis to it in the beginning, but it all died after about two months (back in february), so I'll just assume it was the light that killed it. Daily water changes aren't enough? 0.0 this stuff must feed off the slightest of nutrients.

Okay, away with the baffle. So I'll kind of be redoing my cycle after this? Then I'll just clean everything and wash out the filter.

EDIT: I have a new idea for the cause of the cyanobacteria. My light is on for 9 hours, and it only really grows in places that get direct light. I read that doing a blackout can kill it.. should I also try this?

Last edited by baylee767; 06-01-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #7 
Alex09

If the tank is not planted dont keep on the light. Just turn it on when you are viewing the fish. 3WPG is alot. Especially for an unplanted tank - you are asking for an algae farm. If you have live plants 3wpg is still alot. At that level of lighting you need to have c02. Try to reduce your lighting by taking out a bulb (if your hood has multiple bulbs) or by exchanging your current bulb for one with lower watts. 1 or 2 wpg would be more appropriate for a non c02 tank. 1-1.5 wpg would be good if you only have low light plants.

FTR:

-5000k is perfectly fine for growing plants. kelvin temp is not as important as light intensity.
- I doubt that a gravel vac will suck up your substrate. Try doing a gravel vac and see what happens. If it IS too strong, just bend the hose some, that will significantly weaken the suction power. People use a gravel vac to clean sand tanks, im sure its possible with yours. You shouldnt just let the gunk all accumulate at the bottom. You can only get away with not cleaning the substrate when you have tons and tons of FAST growing STEM plants with large root structures literally covering every inch of your tank.

Last edited by Alex09; 06-02-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #8 
baylee767

Okay. I usually use a gravel vac by hovering it over my substrate right after stirring it up though and even hovering over not only does debries get sucked up the substrate does too. But that hose kink idea.... I'll see if that works. But the substrate is the size and just barely heavier than the weight of Betta poop, how will that work? /= (I can't use the method of shoving the vac into my substrate like everyone is saying so... ?)

My tank is planted somewhat, but the highest light plant I have are a few tropica swords. The reason I have my lighting so high is because I was planning on adding CO2 (Actually now I was planning on making some DIY CO2 until cyanobacteria) and some higher level plants, but for now I'll transfer plants to another lighted container and start blackout period in my tank.