Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 
HollyJaneElizabeth

Question Buying a Betta for Boyfriend....but know nothing about fish.

Hi, I'm completely new to this forum (and largely fish in general) and could really use your help.

My boyfriend loves tropical fish but had to leave his tank behind when he moved to England from Dubai.
For his birthday in august I want to get him a siamese fighting fish and think I've found an appropriate tank. Think. I've done a lot of research but I'd really love some certain answers from someone who knows what they're doing.

It's the Aquael Classic 40 Aquarium Kit.

Would it be ok? It's a 25 litre, complete with lighting, filter, lid and 25w heater.

Also, what else would I need to get aside from pebbles (smooth so as not to tear fins) and some form of plant life? Chemicals, perhaps? And how would I go about preparing the tank?

Thank you so much for any help!

Holly
HollyJaneElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

There are a few things I'd add to your list...

Water conditioner (to remove chlorine and other heavy metals)
Thermometer to put in the water (a partner to your heater)
API Liquid test kit (for testing water for things like ammonia/nitrates; liquid kits are more accurate)
A hiding spot (can be a simple as a terra cotta pot with the hole plugged or a coffee mug on its side)
Pellets for food (preferable to flakes)

Here's are two really good threads to read...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078

And ask anything you need to. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #3 
Tisia

this would be good to read too. fishless cycling is the easiest on the fish and you (since you won't have to do a ton of water changes), but you can do fish in if need be.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Nothing to add to the above posters, so good luck with the betta if you get him!
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #5 
HollyJaneElizabeth

Oh thank you so much guys - those articles were really helpful.

My next question (could be the start of a series lol) might sound a bit silly. I was hoping to surprise him with a fully set up tank appearing in his room, betta already swimming happily.

The more research I do, the more improbable this course seems - especially the two week cycling period which is terrifying me at the moment! So my question is: would there be any way to set the tank and betta up and then transport it for about an hour drive?

I am so sorry if that sounds truly idiotic lol!

Thanks guys!
HollyJaneElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

If your goal time is in August, this would be plenty of time for you to get all the things together for when you want the tank to suddenly appear.

You could cycle the tank and then transport the tank without the water (filter should be fine for an hour's drive) and put the betta in a safe container (in dechlorinated water) to your bf's place & then set it up for the surprise. Bring along a bucket & dechlorinator to refill the tank.... be sure to get temp as close as possible to what betta was in.

OR... do the above but without buying the fish. You could surprise your bf and then take him out to pick out the fish he wants. Won't have to stress the fish in a transport this way and it "might" be just a bit less hassle for you (and fishie) as you've said you "know nothing about fish". You and your bf could then set the tank up together.

Also consider that one little betta in 25 litres ... the water quality won't go pear-shaped very quickly. So, you could get started on the cycling and after it's set up your bf just needs to be vigilant on the water testing and water changes! (*I'm just making a slight assumption that your bf has at least a basic knowledge of keeping fish.. since you said he had tropical fish before... so if this is the case, 1 fish in a 25 litre shouldn't be too much trouble for him).

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

The only other thing I could add to the suggestions above would be the addition to a small soft net so you can move the betta around if needed. (If your tank kit does not come with one.) They are very cheap. (less then $2.00 USD)
You can probably get along without one if you can get him to swim into a cup if you need to move him around. It just makes moving him around easier and a bit safer in my opinion.

If you were waiting on the fish, like someone suggested above, until he could go pick it. An idea might be to get a card, or photo of a Betta and tape it to the outside of the aquarium with the inside or back saying whatever you felt would be appropriate for the occasion. :)

Be careful if you get the fish and take care of it. They have addictive personalities and you might just end up getting two tanks! (one for yourself!)

Best wishes and happy birthday to your boyfriend!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new aquarium, new betta, new fish aquarium newbie, new tank, siamese fighting fish