Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Brown algae? Help? :C

He guys! So, a while ago I was down at Petsmart and decided to pick up an anubias for my tank. Queue using the lights more often as the little dear needs some. Everything went swimmingly for a while-- then I started my new job. I have to admit, I neglected the tank a bit for about two weeks (ten gallon, three bettas, divided, and heated), not preforming water changes often enough, ect.

I noticed the start of a little bit of brown growth on the glass, but I was still busy so I was letting it wait for the weekend. Well, by the time I got to it there was brown EVERYWHERE. It got all over the anubias's leaves (thankfully it just wipes off), the glass, the gravel, EVERYTHING OH GOD. I tore the tank apart and pretty much ran water as hot as it would go over my gravel in bits, scrubbed my fake plants, scrubbed the inside of the tank clean, and everything. No more brown I put everything back in it's place, refill the tank with fresh water. I'm keeping up on water changes, but every time I clean the brown gunk it's back within a week! I took out all the silk plants this time, and went and bought a pair of marmo balls, and some water water wisteria, in hopes that it might help a little. Nothing yet-- I plan to go shopping for more live plants next paycheck, but just arrrrg.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to fight this? it's getting pretty unsightly, and I really don't want to spend half an hour rubbing it all off every water change.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

It sounds like diatoms. They are harmless and will go away as your tank gets more mature. My tank had them in March, but has none now. :)

Is your tank next to a window and getting direct light? Light is a big factor with them, I found. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #3 
bettafish15

As said before me, it's just a new tank thing :) As long as your tank isnt getting direct light it should go away soon if you keep getting rid of it each water change. It does build up if you leave it alone. ^^ Remember not to clean your filter though, because then the tank wont mature.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
elijahfeathers

I don't have a filter for this tank. I've always been able to keep up with it before as far as water changes. The tank's been set up a couple months too.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

I used an aquarium sponge to wipe down the inside walls as needed. It could be a light difference that simply comes with the change of seasons. Try to limit the light a bit more, whether that is closing blinds in that room earlier or using hte light over the tank less (smaller photo period).

Keep up with your water changes and it'll make a difference.

The important thing to remember is that this does not harm your fish. It's simple biology.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote