betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Laying at bottom of tank help

Housing
What size is your tank?2.5 gallon minibow
What temperature is your tank?77
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none. I have an amazon sword in his tank and a little wisteria.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?pellets and occasional bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:not sure
Nitrate:not sure
pH:not sure
Hardness:not sure
Alkalinity: not sure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Laying at bottom in the corner of tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?This morning..I changed his substrate yesterday afternoon.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?I am not sure what exactly to do..I did a 50% water change hoping that would help...
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him last month.

Yesterday afternoon during waterchange I changed out my substrate in my fish tank..I went from sand to gravel...I also redecorated...Moved the heater around and replaced his plant...This morning he was acting pretty odd...this evening he is still laying at the bottom of his tank in the one corner after doing a 50% waterchnge...

He swims up when he sees me get close..but he mostly is laying at the bottom...What should I do?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #2 
baylee767

Hmm, can you get a picture? It sounds like some sort of shock though, which is really bad... Maybe the Ph went down when you put in gravel, and he was shocked. I don't know much about treating this except you should try to cover his tank and make it as stress free as possible. Don't run the filter, just put the media in a container of water and turn the filter off. I'm sorry there's not much I can do /=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #3 
Harley

I've got the same problem and I don't know what to do either. Harleys in a 1g QT bowl (fin rot) and has had 100% daily changes for 10+ days so he should be used to it. He just sits on the bottom for several minutes at a time. Occasionally he comes to the top but not always for air. Hopefully someone can help both of us.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

He is still laying at the bottom this morning...I feel awful.... I'm not sure what I should do. I have medications...IAL...aquarium salts..epsom salts...but I honestly see nothing wrong with him that would make him lay at the bottom so I have no idea what to do...or what to treat.. I think I really must have put him into shock and i feel awful...I didnt take out anymore water than my usual water change though...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #5 
phoenix91

I think the same type of thing happened to me and my betta last weekend. i changed the heater, but had to move the tank and shelf and such which was very stressful for my fish. he ended up laying on the bottom, this also set off a bout of what i think is columnaris.

I turned off my tanks light, put my fish in the cup he came in and floated it in the aquarium (to make sure he could get to the surface); i also started to treat him with aq salt and maracyn (but the maracyn is for the columnaris). I suggest you qt your fish and add some aq salt to the water and see if that perks him up. i added 1 teaspoon for every 1 gallon of prepared water and then used how ever much i needed in his cup from this.

i've also been changing 50% of his water in the morning and 50% at night to keep the ammonia levels down. i left his light off for 2 days and only fed him when he'd eat.

i hope this helps and i hope your fish pulls through.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Here he was a few hours after water change and redecorating...

This morning:

I have put some IAL in his tank...shut off the filter for now and I am keeping the light off to help him relax...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #7 
Canuck Fins

What a beautiful fish and so sad looking all clamped up there on the bottom. Does he have a hiding spot or just the plant? Maybe put a coffee mug on its side in there and see if it helps him to have a dark, hiding spot to go in? I think keeping the light off is good.

I wish I had something solid to suggest.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella.....I would get him in a QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range and start 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 7-10 days

Pre-mix your treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and IAL to steep...the longer it steeps the more tannins will be released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it....by pre-mixing the treatment water....will help give correct dosage and make water changes easier.....make sure the pre-mixed treatment water is about the same temp at the water in the QT so not to cause temp related shock......

Since he was fine before the substrate change-it may be something in the new substrate....I would start making 50% daily water changes on that tank while you have the Betta in treatment
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Poor fella.....I would get him in a QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range and start 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for the next 7-10 days

Pre-mix your treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and IAL to steep...the longer it steeps the more tannins will be released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it....by pre-mixing the treatment water....will help give correct dosage and make water changes easier.....make sure the pre-mixed treatment water is about the same temp at the water in the QT so not to cause temp related shock......

Since he was fine before the substrate change-it may be something in the new substrate....I would start making 50% daily water changes on that tank while you have the Betta in treatment
Thankyou..This may sound like a stupid question...but..How would I do a 100% change on a QT. the size of the cup he came in? Would it be possible to treat him in his 2 gallon tank if I lower the water halfway and do a 100% water change daily?

Also..I plan on switching my other tank to a gravel eventually...How can I avoid this happening again in the future? I made sure to rinse my gravel...soak it...and then rinse it again in warm tap water...The water in his tank doesnt appear to be cloudy or anything...but..if it is shock from the change of substrate how can I avoid this in the future?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #10 
Harley

Sorry your fish still isn't doing well. I was lucky that Harley snapped out of it, after 2 days and is now back to his old swimming self. Depending on what you use for a QT container will determine how you do the 100% changes. If possible, get a second QT container and also place it in your tank to warm it up. Then you can scoop out your fish and alternate between QT A and QT B so the water (w/ aquarium salt and IAL "tea") is always fresh and prepared ahead of time. That's just how I would do it but there may be an easier/better way. BTW your bettas silver color is awesome!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote