Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #1 
baylee767

Exclamation Gill parasites? Is this it? *pics included*

I had to do a very difficult photo shoot where in one hand I held a mirror and in the other a camera to get him to flare his gills to see if he has gill parasites. I got 2 pics showing them... I just got this CT saturday, and he just lays there unless motivated /=

Anyways, his gills are a really dark red, almost blackcolor. Then in the center is a streak of normal colored gills red, and right where the gills branch off from the bottom of his head is a tiny patch of gray. I got 2 photos in which you can see this... Some physical signs are:

The first day I had him he'd yawn by opening his mouth super wide for a long time (only did it first day that I can tell though). My other fish just dart their mouthes open. He also does an occasional slight head twitch.

Does he have gill parasites and if so how should I treat them? I was thinking 1 tsp/gallon AQ salt w/ 100% daily water changes for 10 days would cure it, but I kow hardly anything about these parasites so I want your opinion first.
Attached Images

Last edited by baylee767; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #2 
Twilight Storm

I got one good pic of my CT flaring. He looks almost exactly as you describe your new guys beard. As far as the color goes I am pretty sure you don't need to worry about that unless he can't close it or open it all the way.
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=13969

The other symptoms I have no experience in. You should probably fill out the sticky though. It seems to expedite help requests overall and give the people good at helping people w/disease answers to basic questions so they don't have to look it up.

Is he scratching or have rapid gill movement? Chart I read just now said that was a sign of parasites? I don't know how good this chart is but it also gives symptoms for Betta depression.
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

Hope someone can help, and good luck with your boy! He's Pretty!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote