Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Unhappy sudden popeye

so, the other day, my brother was able to get his delta dragon, Archfiend(AkA Archie) a new heater. everything went well. Archie is alot more active than he was, which makes us very happy, and we're hoping he'll finally let his tail grow back in(he's a chronic tail biter, and we're literally just guessing that he's a delta tail!). so, he went to feed both his bettas today, but Archie was just laying there. we freaked for a moment, then saw one of his pec fins wiggle. sighing, he turned back to his computer, while i eyeballed the little guy. he didn't move for the food at all, and i figured he must not see the food(one of his eyes is 100% clouded over. we're thinking it's just the dragon scaling covering his eye). then, i got a top look at little Archie. he has popeye. his 'good' eye, looks like a bubble-eye goldfish eye! we don't know how he got it, since he was fine just yesterday, and my brother keeps sharp plants and decor out of Archie's tank. but, the question isn't how he got it, it's how can we heal it? i don't like meds, so the only meds we have are Tetra brand Ick meds, and Jungle brand parasite meds. we also have jungle brand aquarium salt, and i'm gonna mix him up a batch of that in a bit. other than that, what can we do, to help Archie's eye(or eyes. since we don't know why the other is kinda... popping out a bit too. not nearly as much as what you think of when you think 'popeye', but more than any other betta's)?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) along with 100% daily water changes while in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range.....

If the tank had been receiving the needed water changes and the water temp was not changed too fast or too high...this may be related to an injury especially if its just one eye, however, if the tank was neglected and the temp was raised it could have caused an over population of bad pathogens that are always in the tank normally since they thrive in warmer water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 
dipsydoodlenoodle

When one of my girls had pop eye I treated her with myaxzin (spelling) and she's all cured now :)
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #4 
Luimeril

thanks, OFL. :d he takes pretty good care of his bettas, especially Archie, since Archie's a chronic tail biter. i'll let him know about the Epsom salt baths. we'll have to go out and buy some, since we don't keep it handy. Dx
Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Luimeril,

Popeye can pop up almost instantly... In the morning my betta girl was fine; by the time I got home from work I was horrifed to see she was ill! OFL helped us through the popeye and Baby Blue, my monster 3" female, is still going strong.

Her eyes have never regained their exact size previous to the popeye, and I believe she is blind in one eye... but she is in an uncluttered divided tank by herself and is very happy and full of spunk!

Hope Archie makes a full recovery soon! :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #6 
Luimeril

thanks. :3 it was just shocking to see the bulging eye. x-X we're used to his "blind eye" being a touch bigger than normal, but this one actually looks like a bubble-eye goldfish's eye. D: we're hoping he gets better soon. he was my brother's first betta, and our first dragon and non-veiltail.