Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #1 
Larsa

Is this tank ok (for now?)

Ok first off I wanna say I love my betta dearly and I understand perfectly how they need their space.

I have a male crowntail in a .75 gallon tank. I know its small as I have had betta in the past live in my outdoor oriental ponds. I got an apt and fish tanks arnt allowed unless you pay a $200 pet safety deposit. I give him 100% natural spring water and he has premium aquarium gravel and a submersable thermometer. I keep my apt very warm and even at nite the tank temp sits around 76 F. Soon, he is getting a small gentle filter, live plants, and eventually a one gallon tank. He has enough air to breathe and he likes Hikari food (wont eat anything else yet) Is he ok living in this until I get a gallon tank? Money is very tight right now too...

Last edited by Larsa; 05-06-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #2 
Harley

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
Ok first off I wanna say I love my betta dearly and I understand perfectly how they need their space.

I have a male crowntail in a .75 gallon tank. I know its small as I have had betta in the past live in my outdoor oriental ponds. I got an apt and fish tanks arnt allowed unless you pay a $200 pet safety deposit. I give him 100% natural spring water and he has premium aquarium gravel and a submersable thermometer. I keep my apt very warm and even at nite the tank temp sits around 76 F. Soon, he is getting a small gentle filter, live plants, and eventually a one gallon tank. He has enough air to breathe and he likes Hikari food (wont eat anything else yet) Is he ok living in this until I get a gallon tank? Money is very tight right now too...
I would get the biggest you possibly can for what you think you can do with your landlord. The physical size between and 1 and 2 gallon isn't that big. Be sure to use water conditioner on the spring water too. Double check the temp. My place is a warm oven but the tank is still only 72F at room temp. A small filter in a 1 gallon tank isn't really required. It'll take up too much space and you'll still need to do 50% water changes every other day, although I would personally do 50% everyday. It doesn't take too long for toxic ammonia to build up fast, especially in a small bowl (<2.5g). You'll also want to be able to clean your substrate from time to time too. If you're not already, try to scoop out any uneaten food 2 minutes after you feed it. Good luck and hopefully your fish gets a roomier place soon!

Last edited by Harley; 05-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #3 
bahamut285

I agree with Harley. You should actually TALK to your landlord about what size fish tank is acceptable. I believe that when they think fish tank, they think people are going to bring in enormous 100 Gals to set up on what probably seems like a crummy floor/ceiling that will buckle under the weight. Explain to him/her that all you're getting is a tank that is honestly no heavier than a regular house plant.

Also, if it is affordable, try to get 2 gal instead of 1 gal. A 0.25 gallon upgrade isn't THAT much more water, and 2 Gal are generally similar in price to 1 Gal (at least where I live, haha).
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I would go to walmart or another kitchen type store and get a 2-3 gallon cookie jar...sneak that in...(they're about 9-10 dollars usually)They will never expect it to be for a fish...
They have some 2 gallon cookie jars at walmart...I almost got one for my fish but i ended up going with a critter keeper...

There are a few people on here that use these.

I would also suggest using tap water and a good water conditioner like prime...A lot of times spring water can lack minerals and stuff that are good for fish. They also make water conditioners just for bettas...I havent ttried any of the betta type conditioners though..I usually just use prime.
You dont need a filter for a tank this small...you just need to keep up with water changes so that ammonia doesnt build up...In a tank 1 galon or smaller I do 100% water changes daily.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 05-06-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #5 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I would go to walmart or another kitchen type store and get a 2-3 gallon cookie jar...sneak that in...They will never expect it to be for a fish...
^ LOL

Also I THINK the betta conditioners are just weaker versions of prime...so you can put a whole capful for the 0.5 Gallon boxes and "tanks" they sell. It makes it more convenient than trying to get something like 0.25 capful of prime or getting a dropper.

Those cookie jars look really cute though! Unfortunately since they're made of glass, they're usually expensive here :(...I was looking at a 4 gal vase with a wide opening at the top, but it was something like $20 CAD...I might as well buy an actual 4 Gal tank :(...so much for cheaper solutions XD!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Sometimes you can find nice sized vases and jars at thrift stores/yard sales..I have been looking...but of course when you're looking for something...never find it!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #7 
bahamut285

Ahh that sounds interesting...too bad yard sales are scarce where I live. Also I have no idea where my nearest thrift store is...I've never been to one XD!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #8 
orphansparrow

i got a 2 gallon critter keeper at walmart for $6.00. you can get them at petco or petsmart for pretty cheap too.

it looks like this:

http://www.petco.com/product/5914/PE...l-Animals.aspx

i don't remember for sure, but i'm pretty sure mine is the medium size, which is about 2 gallons (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

it's really not that big, and your landlord i'm sure wouldn't know the difference between it and what you have now. i also like that it's plastic, because it's so much easier to deal with the frequent water changes not having glass. ^_^

check out my threads and you will see some photos of my guys home in it.

good luck! i'm glad you love your fishie. :)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #9 
scootshoot

As am sure you know already, water parameters tend to spike quick at low volume. Keep up with water maintenance to improve the odds your betta lives a long and trouble free life.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 
laughing

2.5 gallon tanks (hooded light & filters) are on sale at PetCo right now for $17.99 or $18.99 I forgot. He'd do happily in there(: It barely takes up half of a larger TV tray!! Seriously, it's not that big.

Also, 50% water changes for this 2.5 takes literally 5 minutes for me. Put vaccum in, get the suction going, wait 30 seconds to get half water out, fill up with water, treat, done! My 5 gallon takes me 10-15 mins to do a 80% water change!!

So I would think about a 2-3 gallon kritter keeper (Around $10) and just put a heater & thermometer in there. You'd be allll set! Or if you want a "nicer" look get that tank that's on sale!!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote