Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 
Tisia

ugh, tailbiters!

Sven apparently has decided that he was tired of trying to make himself a crowntail, and now wants to make himself a double tail instead >_<

I shoved a huge silk plant in his tank, and made him a little hammock type dealy using half a styrofoam cup and a rock to weigh it down, which seemed to have stopped him for a few days (there was even a little bit of regrowth) and this morning I wake up to the above picture. so frustrated with the little booger right now. thinking of getting him some hamster tubes to play in, and maybe some wingless fruit flies to see if live food entertains him, but if anyone else has suggestions to get him to stop I'd love to hear them
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 
kanjakeeper

I feel your pain... You could try placing some things outside the tank as well for stimulation...i put a kid book on one side and change it every couple days..also just moving decor around can help (if it's not from stress) and feeding smaller portions (like one or two pellet three times a day)..thats all that is coming to mind right now...hope this helps..good luck!
kanjakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

ugh...My one fish..Flippy..I thought he had pretty quick moving finrot...I put him in QT. with a little aquarium salt and maracyn...Then...the other day walking into my room I look over and he is spinning in circles...im like...what the heck is he doing..It took a few times of me seeing this to figure out he is actually biting his fin off! it looks awful! One part of his fin is less about 1/4 inch away from his scales now..I have no idea how he is biting that close!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #4 
gmd1800

Octo has been tailbiting for about a month now, but actually stopped now and you can see fresh growth. I upgraded him to a bigger tank and he spends more time swimming around than chewing on his tail, which is a big plus!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I've been advised to rearrange the decorations inside the tank, if you have wall paper on the back, maybe even change that. OF course this all depends on if he's a boredom biter, a stress biter, or my fins are bothering me biter. And each of those has different suggestions. Lots of clean water for now. And high protein food helps with regrowth. (when my boy has an incident, I add some stress coat and have started him on frozen blood worms)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #6 
kanjakeeper

oh fantastic! I was just going to say, if you can find the trigger it makes finding a solution simpler
kanjakeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 
Tisia

I'm pretty sure it's boredom since changing stuff helped for a few days, but it didn't last very long, stuck some stuffed animals around his tank to see if that interests him as well, but don't think they're really helping. considering moving the snail to my other boy's tank since Sven ignores it, and trying some shrimp to see if he is amused by them. if nothing else, he'll get some more protein >_>
Old 05-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 
Tisia

he really doesn't look repentant about the tailbiting at all, lol