Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #1 
Andrewsmama

Help! Does my betta have fin rot?

Help! My betta, Blue, has been acting listless all day and this evening, I noticed on the edges of his tail fin something that looks like fin rot! He's been holding his fins close and flapping his gills a lot and all he does is go up to the surface to breathe and then back down to the bottom.

Can someone who knows things about fish have a look at my picture and tell me if it is fin rot? And what to do about it? Thanks!

Oh, and if this helps, I've had him a week. Last night, I moved him from a 1 gallon to a 5 gallon tank w/ a heater and filter. The temp is about 79, ph 7.2, Ammonia 0 (or maybe 0.25, I'm not sure), Nitrite and Nitrate both 0. I also have 2 mystery snails in the tank with him and they seem fine.

I'm pretty new to fish keeping and I don't want to kill him, so any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Andrewsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #2 
Harley

I'm no expert but it doesn't look like fin rot to me. Regardless of the picture you provided, the symptoms aren't typical of fin rot. Blue's fin tips are a bit black but is that a new thing? Harley has fin rot and is starting to rebuild his fins now. He just started exhibiting some of the same symptoms as your fish but I think its unrelated to fin rot. I don't know what it is yet. Hopefully someone else here does.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #3 
Canuck Fins

I don't know about finrot but he's definitely quite clamped up in that pic. To help us get an idea what might be causing this listlessness, can you answer these things about his living conditions when his behaviour changed? (If the 1G was unheated, he might be cold.)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 
Andrewsmama

I'm sorry to say that Blue passed away this morning. :( Not entirely sure, but I think it was fin rot - his fins looked more raggedy today than last night. He died before I got a chance to get to the pet store to get some antibiotic for him...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss......normally a fish will not die due to just fin rot in the early stages, however, once it progresses they can become septic if left untreated....I suspect that your Betta died due to something else and since he was new it was not your fault.......again sorry for your loss...don't give up and most of all don't blame yourself....look forward to seeing and hearing about your next Betta.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

Oldfishlady is right as usual. :) Sorry about your fish. I lost my first after the first few days.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #7 
Andrewsmama

Thanks for the support, Oldfishlady and Canuck Fins. I think I will try to get another betta - they are so beautiful! Hopefully, I'll do better this time.

If I do get another, should I start with all new water? It's a new tank, so I don't think the bacteria have built up much yet, so I don't know if I should just start over with that or try to keep going with the water that is in there? (I have 2 mystery snails in the tank too...)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #8 
Canuck Fins

When my fish died, I did a partial water change but I didn't rip it all down and scrub down. I got Scout out in the first hours after he died. I did test the water to make sure my parameters were alright. Some people said it was a risk as he could've been sick with something, but he was only 48 hours at my house. I left the tank running but fishless for about 3 days so any remaining problems had nothing to feed on if it was an illness in the tank.

My tip for when you buy your second fish is to find out what day the pet store gets their new bettas in. I picked my Ninja out from a tank full of bettas still in the shipping triangles, acclimatizing to the new water temp. If you can get a new one on the day they come into the store, you increase your odds of picking a healthy one. :)
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #9 
Harley

Unhappy

Sorry to hear Blue didn't make it. Like OFL said Blue likely didn't die from fin rot but rather something else. As said, sometimes you get them when they're sick inside but not showing much outside. Don't beat yourself up over it. You'll find a new buddy to enjoy when you're ready. I would recommend reading up on how to cycle your tank as well. There's a sticky on it in the "Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories" section. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #10 
Andrewsmama

My new fishy!

I couldn't take the empty tank, so I cleaned it out and got another betta! Here he is... I spent several hours acclimating him last night and he seems really happy and curious about his new home.

I did read up on new tank syndrome and the nitrogen cycle, so hopefully, I'll be ready to deal with that now.

Wish me luck!
Attached Images