Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? fluval chi

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pallets and everyother day freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:n-a
Nitrite:n-a
Nitrate:n-a
pH:7.8
Hardness:n-a
Alkalinity: n-a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? did not change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? just lays on the bottom by the heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? didnt know how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of just got the fish 4 days ago
How old is your fish (approximately)?i got him 4 days ago

its a male VT Betta and all he does is lay on the bottom by or under the heater. plus i noticed that my water was a little cloudy so i tryed to change out the water 50% and didnt help a thing he still is on the bottom and the water is still cloudy. i dont know what is wrong with him. and ideas anyone or what i should do. i didnt noticed anything different with him or his fins just that he is on the bottom the whole day i had to move him for him to come up to eat. i dont want nothing to happen to him.
kotarba1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like this is a brand new setup that has not established the nitrogen cycle.....I would start by making 50% water only changes for the next 2 days with like temp dechlorinated water and then stay on a regular schedule of 50% twice a week..1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate vacuuming until the nitrogen cycle establishes (4-8 weeks) and then back the water changes down to 50% weekly with vacuum.....

Sometimes new fish can take a few days to get adjusted and some Bettas just are not very active to start especially the older males with long heavy fins....sometimes a Betta that has been kept in a really small container for most of their life and then placed in a larger tank 6.6gal...the space alone can stress them...not all Bettas react this way to space but some do....make the water changes and give him time.....and good that he is eating for you...that a good sign......love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 
kotarba1986

see im new to bettas and fish period. its something i wanna get in to because its so relaxing. and i just dont want nothing to happen to this one. but should i try to use the water clarifyers on the water or no.? and how ofter should i feed my betta iv had people tell me in the store to feed the only 3 pallets ever other day now to me thats to little and i would starve but iv been giving him some pallets and ill give him bloodworms like 2-3 times a weed after his pallets for a treat. is that right or no?
kotarba1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In that case...Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....you picked a great hobby.....

IMO/E-the less additives the better.....a good dechlorinator is all you need....your tank is new and I suspect the cloudy water is more bacterial related and should resolve on its own along with a couple of water changes to keep the water fish safe......

When you make your water changes make sure the water temp is within a couple of degrees between new and old water so not to cause temp related shock issues and Always use dechlorinater with any new water added to the fish/tank

Feeding-a good staple diet in small amounts several times a day is best...I would get a couple of different type of pellets and feed one kind for one meal and a different kind for another meal...also live foods like mosquito larva are really enjoyed by Bettas and frozen foods are good....careful with the freeze dried type foods and only feed small amount for a treat a couple of times a week along with the staple diet....fasting one day a week can also benefit the Betta to allow a day for the digestive system to clean out.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
ghostlilly

i am in the same situation bought my betta 5 days ago and he just lays at the bottom on the rocks, i have to tap on the glass to get him to move and sometimes he won't move at all! he has a hide away spot and the temp is 78 in the tank. i let the tank set up for 24 hours like it said and conditioned the water,i have a filter and a air stone my tank is 3 gallons he doesnt look sick but is lackluster in color
ghostlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

Ghostlily, if you got your fish 5 days ago and haven't done a water change yet, he may be feeling down due to ammonia building up. A 3g will need a 50% waterchange and a second 50 of 100% waterchange with gravel vacuuming/cleaning a week. Do water change, try to use similar temp water and see if that perks him up. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote