Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
usmcwife2010

Need help

ok im actually in some desperate need of help too i have 2 betta fish of course in seperate bowls umm ont is like white and weird looking when his original color was dark blue kinda but he is a year old and then i was told he could be constipated which i thought was weird but it was true so im hoping that he gets his color back and then the other one it looked like he was getting ick so i used something called betta fix from petco but right now he wont eat he just stays at the bottom of the tank and it looks like he is breathing but i get concerned for him most of the time because he isnt even eating ): so now i dont know whats wrong and his color is fine ):
usmcwife2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....need some more information...

For each Betta-
How big are the tanks, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, type of food offered, how long have you had them......

Other than the Bettafix have you used any other medication or treatment, also-how much and how many days have you used the Bettafix

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 
usmcwife2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems....need some more information...

For each Betta-
How big are the tanks, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, type of food offered, how long have you had them......

Other than the Bettafix have you used any other medication or treatment, also-how much and how many days have you used the Bettafix

Can you post a pic...
i have used the bettafix with one who is a year old for about a month but his skin condition settled down and each tank is about a gallon i change them every friday like normal and i have been using the bettafix for about a month and i have no clue on how to post a picture of them on here id have to figure that out and the one that isnt very active is barely 6 months old i have never had a problem with bettas before and the one that is a year old the previous owner gave me him in january ecause she couldnt move em across the country with her but anyways yeah other than that previous bettas ive had lasted me about 3 years and i never had a problem with them and i just cant figure out whats going on with them
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

For a 1 gallon tank, changing the water once a week really isn't often enough. The ammonia will build up very quickly. Think more along the lines of 100% water change every second day.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that you should copy and paste to fill out here so we know what kind of conditions your fish are in.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E as well as experiments (non-scientific) I have found that 1gal unfiltered tanks with a single Betta needs twice weekly water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality

Water temp is another issue that can cause problems with this species...what is the water temp

Nutrition is also important...are they eating and if so how much and type of food....

At this point I would recommend that you stop the Bettafix and start 100% daily water changes on both Betta for 3 days with like temp dechlorinated water...check the water temp and maintain temp in the 76-80F range.....Diet needs to be varied and fed in small amount frequently....

keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #6 
usmcwife2010

ok ill try the daily water change and ill def keep all of u posted
Posted via Mobile Device