Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #1 
orphansparrow

what else should i be doing??

hello. me again.

so i've been treating yangtze for the teeniest amount of what looks like fin rot on the edges of his fins:

i have been doing 100% water changes for 3 days, and adding 1 tsp. of aquarium salt.

today i woke up to find the very top of his dorsal fin kind of curly. is that a bad sign?? am i being overly paranoid?

his energy seems good, his fins are spread nice, and he swims all around.

also, you can see what the temp is in his tank. i have a non-adjustable heater, and you can see in the photo the max. temp of the heater.

i plan on getting a different heater, but i haven't found one in trips to 2 pet stores that are adjustable, and suitable for a 2 gallon tank. (the adjustable ones are all 50 watts and up). but i will look again in a couple days.

thanks for any help, and here are our stats:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75+
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone, turned on for a little while once a day.
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta bio gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 or 3 pellets twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? right now - 100% every day. i just got him, was doing 100% once a week, was advised to do more, so i will when i finish his treatment. also, i remove any poos as i see them with a turkey baster. :3
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: apx. 7.0
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes, dorsal fin has turned a little curly on the tip.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? same.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, have been treating him for 3 - 4 days. see above.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? a little fin rot since i got him apx. 2 /1 - 3 weeks ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ?

Last edited by orphansparrow; 05-04-2011 at 09:24 AM.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #2 
Creat

Well I dont see any fin rot and many time the fins on the betta will curl like that sometimes I think, but dont quote me on this, it is on the hardness of the water. Harder water causes fins to curl, I have some crowntails this happened to. But on the matter of fin rot I dont see anything that looks like it finrot usually has dark edges on fins.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #3 
orphansparrow

thanks creat. that would make sense.

people keep saying they don't see fin rot on his fins, but do you see the darker colors on the edges of his fins? i swear they were not there when i first got him a few weeks ago, so i thought it was the beginning of fin rot. hm..well, i'll finish his salt treatment out, and if he doesn't "improve" maybe i'll assume it wasn't fin rot. i tend to be a bit paranoid with my animals. <<
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #4 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphansparrow View Post
thanks creat. that would make sense.

people keep saying they don't see fin rot on his fins, but do you see the darker colors on the edges of his fins? i swear they were not there when i first got him a few weeks ago, so i thought it was the beginning of fin rot. <<
I don't see it either. Curious, though... the dark colour that you are seeing... are you thinking the tips of the fins look dark, or the ... hmm, not sure what to call this... the bottom of the "V" in his fins, where the points come together and meet. I see some darker red colour in these areas, but to me (I'm certainly no expert), that is just his pigmentation.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #5 
Harley

I don't really think its fin rot. If it is its in super early stages. The tips aren't that black. Harley's were much more black when he started to get it. I would continue with the 100% water changes for a while and see how that goes. Water changes are fin rots worst enemy. Keep us posted!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #6 
orphansparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
I don't see it either. Curious, though... the dark colour that you are seeing... are you thinking the tips of the fins look dark, or the ... hmm, not sure what to call this... the bottom of the "V" in his fins, where the points come together and meet. I see some darker red colour in these areas, but to me (I'm certainly no expert), that is just his pigmentation.
hi leroy - yes, that is exactly what i was talking about, the darker color on the tips of the V shape. it is hard to explain, but yes, thats what i meant. i don't think he had that coloring when i first got him. also, i thought when i first got him, that his red color extended to the tips of his fins, instead of being sort of transparent like they are in the photo above. it's possible i'm crazy, as i'm always inspecting my fish a little too hard to make sure i'm not overlooking anything. thanks for your opinion. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I don't really think its fin rot. If it is its in super early stages. The tips aren't that black. Harley's were much more black when he started to get it. I would continue with the 100% water changes for a while and see how that goes. Water changes are fin rots worst enemy. Keep us posted!
thanks so much! i'm continuing with the daily water changes and salt, so we'll see. if they stay the same and his energy stays up, then i'll try to stop worrying. ;)