Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #1 
newbie32

10 Gal Water Changes

For those of you who saw my posts, my last betta died. I now have a new betta. And I'm happy to report that he seems to be doing quite nicely in my tank. He has no bubble nest yet, but he's only been with me for 4 days.

He's in a 10 gal tank. It has a filter. It is not cycled. He lives with an Inca snail. Should I be doing more than a 50% water change once a week? Can I do a 25% water change once a week? I've seen conflicting information regarding this and I don't want to harm King Fishy II or Mr. Snail.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I go by the 50% rule...remove half the waste and dilute whats left.....In a 10gal filtered tank in the process of cycling I would recommend 50% weekly with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything in the tank or disruption of plant roots (if any live plants).

In that volume of water with a low bioload-I would still recommend a second 50% water only change until the nitrogen cycle has established or if you have a water test kit to monitor the ammonia and nitrite-I would base the second 50% on test results of: ammonia/nitrite 0.25ppm or greater...once you start to see nitrate 5-10ppm and 0ppm ammonia/nitrite you are most likely cycled and could safely maintain water quality with 1-50% with vacuum weekly

Filter media-I would not touch this until your nitrogen cycle has established unless the water flow is compromised.....once the nitrogen cycle has established I would then give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month

As the tank matures (3 months) and you have a healthy colony of beneficial bacteria inside the tank- on the walls, decorations and in the top layer of the substrate- it is safe to change the filter media if you feel the need, however, unless you want to use carbon you don't need to change the filter media and when/if you do change the filter media be sure and monitor the ammonia/nitrite for spikes for a week or so or just make an extra water only change to be safe......you can also cut a piece of the old filter media and keep in the filter box for a week or so to seed the new filter media......

If you have live active growing plants-it changes the whole ball game so to speak...lol......but this depends on the number and species of plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #3 
TonyK

I just finsished cycling a 10 gallon with bettas. I was doing partial changes of 50% every 2 days. It might have been overkill but I am done with the cycle and all the levels are accepatable.
Oldfishlady- I had that question about what to do with filter media after the tank is cycled. I just wanted to say Thanks for answering my question.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote