Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #1 
WanderingWillow

Newbie Introduction :) (and pics)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, just got my Betta, Gus, a week ago, and have been anxiously reading this site to make sure I give him a good home! He is so wonderful and I love him! He is a King Betta from Petco. When I first got him his color wasn't very exciting, sort of dull peach, but I couldn't resist his face, and he swam right up to me in his cup and made eye contact as if to say "You better take me home! You know you love me!". Since being in my home he has turned beautiful! Sort of off-white/golden, blue speckled body with shiny blue/red fins - I'm totally in love (as if I wasn't already, lol). Can anyone tell me what this color is called?
Everyone's beautiful pics and talk of breeding is starting to get me addicted - I want another one already! lol.
Anyway, here is Gus! Any advise for this new Betta mom is greatly appreciated!

WanderingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

love the coloring on him
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 
fleetfish

Welcome to the forum, Gus looks like he is a multicolour, and a very handsome one at that! You might want to switch to silk or real plants since plastic plants are known to hurt and rip fins (yes, even on short fins!). I don't know what size of tank you have but for Kings/Giants you want to go bigger since they are larger than regular bettas, maybe 5 gallons with a heater and filter. Trust me, he'll be one happy guy if he has all of that room.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 
laughing

Do colors really change THAT much?? If so, I want to buy every PetCo betta just to see their REAL colors!! LOL.

He's GORGEOUS!! Congratulations! Such a pretty boy(: I think he's just a multicolor. Probably a halfmoon plakat!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 
WanderingWillow

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Fleetfish, thank you for the advice! He is in a 2gal right now, but I think there is an old 5gal at my parents' place I could use, otherwise I'll save up for one!
Also, I have seen pictures of people's planted tanks with real plants and like dirt/gravel mix bottom, and it looks great for the little fishies and I'd love to do it, but I don't know how to keep it clean? With the plain gravel and plastic plants I clean them fully every week - how would I keep it a clean without without disturbing the plant's growing environments?

Thanks again for all the advice. It is so nice to join a new forum and be greeted by such kind, supportive, knowledgeable people!
WanderingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingWillow View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Fleetfish, thank you for the advice! He is in a 2gal right now, but I think there is an old 5gal at my parents' place I could use, otherwise I'll save up for one!
Also, I have seen pictures of people's planted tanks with real plants and like dirt/gravel mix bottom, and it looks great for the little fishies and I'd love to do it, but I don't know how to keep it clean? With the plain gravel and plastic plants I clean them fully every week - how would I keep it a clean without without disturbing the plant's growing environments?

Thanks again for all the advice. It is so nice to join a new forum and be greeted by such kind, supportive, knowledgeable people!
I have a 5 gallon and I am in the process of setting up my 10 gallon. I considered real plants but then I jsut thought (added stress) because I am one of those people that think my pets are in danger of sickness, blahblah overproective. Haha! Silk plants are great, petco or petsmart will have them! they won't hurt your fish, just make sure no metal (if there is some to make the stems bendable) is sticking out! silk plants = easier (in my opinion)

AND I LOVE YOUR FISH! he is so cute. And he is big. He's a chunkie fishie.
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #7 
laughing

Planted tanks are quite simple if you choose the right plants for the right environment. Use the search engine on this forum, it's on the toolbar, and type in "plants". We even have a simple guide to plants on here! It'll help you pick out the plants that will best suit your tank.

Rooted plants could do well in a 5 gallon that does 50% water changes weekly. You'd just have to do 100% about every week. (If you have good water quality and your tank is cycled.)

Floating plants are wonderful. You could do water changes as many times as you want if you treated your plants the same you would with your fish. Because they aren't rooted, removal isn't stressful to them. Of course, anubias grows on decor, and anacharis is left floating, plus moss balls never root, so there you go! ;) (I'd check out that guide!)

Being able to test your water and have a thermometer are valuable tools in planted tanks as well as unplanted ones. Too warm of water your anacharis will get mushy!

Any more Qs??
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #8 
chelsmarie23

He is gorgeous!!
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #9 
babyk

I am in love with his colors
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #10 
denaliwind