Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 
lunawatsername

Question are betta breeders rare, or am i unlucky?

so i have been trying to locate a betta breeder near me (i live in vallejo CA, close to benicia or napa if you know where they are) and as far as i could find, there are no breeders anywhere close to me (close enough for me to be able to drive to, preferably within a half hour or so). if i had the opportunity, i would definitely choose a breeder over a chain store, but i havent found a single one. is this a common problem for people? are their just not alot of refutable breeders in my area, are breeders kind of rare, or am i just not looking hard enough? (i know i could get one shipped to me,but i would rather be able to just pick one up, so i would be able to pick it out and take it myself, and not pay like 20 extra dollars. besides, i would like to support local breeders, if there are any) if anyone knows of one close to me i would love to know :) and do alot of other people have this problem too?
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

There is an active club in California. You may have to just buy online and have your betta shipped.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #3 
shinybetta

I joined the Golden State Bettas club, but I think the one closer to you is the CBS, or California Betta Society. They are a much bigger club than Golden state Bettas, and you will locate breeders if you are near the club.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 
orphansparrow

you could try aquabid instead, there are quite a few US breeders on there, and they can ship to you. =)
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #5 
lunawatsername

yea i looked around on aquabid a few times. i know there are plenty of places online that sell them. i would do that if i had to (i plan on eventually breeding bettas, so i would buy quality ones from a breeder for that for sure) but i would much rather not have to have them shipped at all, which is why i want to find local breeders. i like being able to go and look at bettas, and pick out my favorite one from the way its acts and responds to me and stuff, not from a picture. i will if i find no alternative though :)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

There are many breeders in the US. Some don't sell to the public at all, some only deal privately with pet stores, some only sell their fish through auctions at aquarium clubs and IBC, and others post on AB or forums. Your best bet is joining the IBC and emailing breeders privately about stock. Many people do not allow local pick ups... I know I wouldn't.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote