Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 
Poseidon

My Journal: Bought my tank and started to breed Bettas. Need Advice *pics*

Hey guys, new to the forum, it looks like this is the place to be!

I just bought a 3-way-breeder and decided to incorperate it into my 5 gal tank.

I recently just purchased 2 Betta's. One male, one female.

I hope you'll follow my journal and help me out!

Now... Let me post some pics for you guys.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. We have several experienced breeders (I'm not one of them lol) who will be glad to answer any questions you might have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
Poseidon

Pics

Here's the setup, and a close-up of each of my betta's.

I still cant think of names for him and her.

Attached Images

Last edited by Poseidon; 05-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
Poseidon

The big blue one is the male and the little purple one is the female said the guy at the store. The 3-way-breeder floats at the top of the tank, I've got the male in it for now, my question is, should I put the female in the breeder and let the male have the entire tank?

One more thing, the guy at the store said that the female needed to puff out a little bit more, thats how you know when shes full of eggs.... But does that happen only if you let them live together? I'm worried about the male killing her if they arent seperated...

Last edited by Poseidon; 05-06-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I am not sure you actually know how to breed...Are you sure you want to do this? There could be hundreds of babies once you do, and they'll all need homes. If they are viel tails, theyll be hard to home or sell.

I hope an experienced breeder will come to aid you...

Dont add them together right now..I have a feeling they are not conditioned and that you might end up with dead fish if you do right now.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 
ChelseaK

I would suggest a LOT more research before you attempt breeding. You don't want to end up with dead fish. Plus, people on this forum get really mad when people try to breed without doing their homework first (note:I've seen a few of these people get banned from the site).

Just my two cents: It's a lot harder than you think, and even more so when you haven't done the research.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
JKfish

Welcome to the forum~
It looks like you don't really even have a breeding set up and didn't research. A proper breeding tank would have no gravel, it would have plenty of hiding spaces for the female, there'd be no filter, etc. Unfortunately, bettas aren't like guppies, it takes a lot of work to get a proper set up and a sucessful spawn. These are fighting fish after all, so you can't just toss them together and hope for the best.

Here are some links to start you off on your research :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65791

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl....imp?catid=855

some other places to look for information is in some of the spawn logs here. Breeders like Dragonlady, Mr.Vampire181, Beat2020, 1Fish2Fish, etc, have some old (and current) spawn logs that you can look through. Their set ups are all incredible examples.

While you take a while to research, have your bettas each in their own tanks (minimum size 2.5 gallons), that are heated 78-80* F, and with proper water changes. That is the basic pet set up until you have all your research done, and supplies gathered.

Last edited by JKfish; 05-06-2011 at 11:06 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

^^^ Thissss <3

I was waiting for a post like this, heh, I was on my phone and far too lazy to type ;D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #9 
CTMongo

Hey JKFish thanks for the links ay..i think ill learn more faster if i go onto topics like this and read along and get links of the there lol..the 2nd link is a good link!
CTMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #10 
Poseidon

I woke up this morning to Kapu making the first few bubbles of a bubble nest!

I have a 5 gallon tank with a 3 way breeder in it (floats at the top of the tank) I keep my male Kapu in the breeder so he doesnt attack my 3 females (I'm going to buy another tank eventually)

Do you think Kapu is just blowing it for the heck of it? Or do you think he actually wants to spawn with one of the females?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-12-2011 at 02:50 PM.