Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Whole dorsal fin, GONE!!

In the space of a day, Crayola managed to completely destroy his dorsal fin. No, not just destroy it. It's completely GONE. There is a stub that's only about an 1/8th of an inch long left. His caudal fin is in tatters. I noticed a small chunk of his caudal missing today, and then it was in shreds, and then his dorsal fin was literally hanging on by a thread. I went back in my room earlier after watching a movie, and it was completely gone. I wonder if he's gotten stressed from me not being in my room much in the past couple of days. I've been having bad back problems, and I haven't been able to sit in my normal chair. Instead, I've been sitting at the kitchen table. Could he be stressing out from not seeing me as much? I know it wasn't from the decor. He had one of those stump decorations with silk plants coming out of it, and he's had it in his tank for at least a month. I'm just in shock. I've NEVER had a fish who destroyed his fin so much that it was just literally GONE.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 
JKfish

O_O do you have a filter in there?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

No! I don't know what the deal is!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 
JKfish

What about sharp plastic plants or jagged decorations? Most fish don't bite that drastically.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

Poor fish! :(

Have you made any changes recently? Different food? Recent water change? Anything like that?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #6 
YoshesMom

he could be missing you i know mine are like puppies they get SOO excited to see me..maybe try to bring the kitchen chair into your room and put it where he can see you
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

I did switch him to a different tank that's a bit smaller. I didn't want to keep him in the Sterilite bin I had him in because I could barely see him, so I got a 3 gallon Pet Keeper. He's been in it for nearly a week, so I don't think that's the problem. None of his decor was sharp, as I already said. I removed it just in case but I don't think it was the problem.