Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #1 
phoenix91

New symptoms with my sick fish. please help me.

i'm on a pc now so i can fill this out.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets am 2 pm
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually 1/3rd and between 90-100% (tank is uncycled)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: between 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4 ( slightly high but normal for my water)
Hardness: didn't test, but its usually slightly hard
Alkalinity: didn't test

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? At first he was a little pale, a few days ago then his colour brightened up but now i've noticed he has a strange shiny patch under his belly. i'll ad photos.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's been lethargic for a few days now
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about sunday so a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? he's now in a qt cup floating in his tank, i added a bit of aquarium salt because i honestly didn't know what else to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? under 1 year, close to probably 8 months.

So i posted a few days ago about my lethargic fish, now i've noticed a patch of strange scales under his belly, i thought maybe that would help in diagnosing him and see if any one could offer some treatment options. i don't want to lose my little guy and i don't want him to suffer.

i'm sorry these aren't clearer, they're taken with my phone as my camera battery died.
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 225
Size:  26.2 KB
Name:  photo (2).JPG
Views: 225
Size:  23.1 KB
Name:  photo (3).JPG
Views: 228
Size:  25.6 KB

the second pic is best for seeing the patch of scales. what is this and how can i treat it?

Hopefully you can see the patch under his belly. as you can see though the rest of his colour seems okay. he ate 1 pellet this morning and then went back to laying in the bottom of his qt cup. i put him in the cup because i am genuinely worried he's to sick to make it up to air in his 3 g.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #2 
phoenix91

Could this be Columnaris?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #3 
phoenix91

As a last ditch effort to save my fish i started him on Maracyn; i figured with the outward symptoms this couldn't hurt. there might be something else going on with him but i had to try something. I also kept him on aquarium salt.

Well last night i thought it was Oji's time, i thought for sure i'd get up this morning and he'd be dead. He wouldn't eat, he barely moved.

I got up and he wasn't laying on the bottom of his cup, he was hovering about an inch from the bottom and did his little wiggle when i went to see him. He ate 2 pellets.

I'm changing his cup water twice a day and tonight if he's still chirpy i think i'll move him to a bigger QT.

Is there anything i need to do to my tank? i plan to do a 50 % water change tonight and then 50% before i re-introduce him into the tank if and when he gets better?

Do i need to disinfect the tank to prevent whatever he has now coming back? if so i'd rather do it sooner than later so things can settle down again before he goes back in.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 
phoenix91

Jut in case any one is actually reading this and is interested i moved Oji from his small qt into a larger one. When i got home from work he was full of energy and giving me the "let me out now!" stinkeye look, so i moved him and fed him.

I'm still treating him so he'll stay in this qt for 5 days and i'll change the water twice a day. He's a little pale but i think thats from the stress of me changing his qt cup.

Name:  photo (4).JPG
Views: 198
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  photo (2).JPG
Views: 197
Size:  32.9 KB

The difference between today and yesterday is mind blowing. i thought for sure last night would be his last one. i'm so glad he seems to be on the mend.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #5 
phoenix91

I am happy to report that Oji is back in his 3 gallon out of his qt tank and is happily investigating his home again, making sure not stone has been moved and the plants have't moved.

He's back to his old self and i'm hoping this will last a long time. I'm gald to have my happy buddy back.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Hooray! I'm glad your little guy fought of whatever it was and is feeling better. :)

It's really important to keep up on the water changes... any ammonia at all in his water is toxic.

As for the shiny scales... they're probably.... just shiny scales. :)

Bettas are always growing and changing.... and freaking us out in the process!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 
phoenix91

Thanks, i'm so glad he's feeling better. He's the first fish i've had and he freaks me out every day.

I plan to up my water changes with him, can i leave him in the tank when i do 50% water changes or is it better to take him out? with my other betta i take her out since the amount of water being changed is bigger (she's in a 5 g) but i think taking him out stresses him out which is what possibly caused him to become susceptible to illness in the first place.

He seems to enjoy playing in the bubbles when i add new water so if it was the same temp and i added it slowly could i leave him in?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I guess it depends on your betta and the tank.

In smaller tanks and QT containers, I just remove the fish and plunk them back in when the cleaning is done.

Betta fish are tougher than they look and can be netted and QT'd and otherwise handled and moved on a regular basis. They might not like it, some more than others. So, if your fish like the commotion of a water change (I had one silly betta swim into the tank vaccumm last water change... she's none the worse for the wear, silly girl), leave them in. If your fish freaks, put them in a container while you clean the tank. Find what works best for you and your betta :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #9 
phoenix91

Thanks. I think i'll try leaving him in, i did when i was doing 1/3rd water changes. He flares at the vacuum and circles it but generally stays away from the suction end. I think he's more interested in scaring off the big plastic tube. Getting him in the cup is the stressful part for him.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #10 
Canuck Fins

Yay! I'm so happy to read through and find out your little guy is alright!

One tip I would recommend with your fish is to stick with teh feeding schedule you have now, but fast him one day per week. (For me, Friday is my fish's fast day.) It will help his digestion and reduce the odds of constipation. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote