Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #1 
LolaQuigs

Eating Sponge

I always knew Calliope wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she reached a whole new level today. I put her back in her tank after a water change, put some things away, then went back to check on her. At first I couldn't find her because she always hangs out at the front of the tank, but then I spotted her staring at the filter. I thought, "well that's odd" and next thing I knew she lunged at it and took a chunk out of the sponge I use to baffle the outflow! I thought, "ok, so she's not too bright, but now that she knows it's not food she'll leave it alone." Wrong. She proceeded to take several nibbles off of it before going on her merry way. I can't imagine this is good for her but I'm not totally sure what to do...her filter is too strong to take off the sponge or even raise it above the water level.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #2 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
I always knew Calliope wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she reached a whole new level today. I put her back in her tank after a water change, put some things away, then went back to check on her. At first I couldn't find her because she always hangs out at the front of the tank, but then I spotted her staring at the filter. I thought, "well that's odd" and next thing I knew she lunged at it and took a chunk out of the sponge I use to baffle the outflow! I thought, "ok, so she's not too bright, but now that she knows it's not food she'll leave it alone." Wrong. She proceeded to take several nibbles off of it before going on her merry way. I can't imagine this is good for her but I'm not totally sure what to do...her filter is too strong to take off the sponge or even raise it above the water level.
Hmmm. That's an interesting one! I can't imagine sponge tastes too good but I guess thats because I'm not a fish. I have no idea how you could deal with her eating it. It doubt it will just disolve in her system. Hopefully she doesn't get plugged up and can just poop it out but it may depend on how big the bits were. The only thing I can think about the sponge is wraping it in something so she can't bite it but I'm not sure what. My first thought was a little plastic lunch baggie but that's likely too thin and she may try to eat that too. Or depending on your type of filter you could try the water / pop bottle baffle but it has mixed reviews here as some have had thier fish get caught in them and die. Not sure what to tell you but I wish you and Calliope well. I'm sure someone else will have some ideas.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #3 
CyerRyn

How strong is the filter? Could you use the panty hose baffle? or is it possible you could use panty hose to hold the sponge in place if the filter is super strong? I don't know if a fish can bite through the nylon but figured I'd toss you an idea.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I wrapped the sponge in pantyhose. It's am internal filter, and the outflow part is really small so it was kind of tricky. It looks awful and might not stay on too well, but it will do for now, and it was the safest thing I could think of that I knew would work.

I barely feed that fish and she still gets bloated...maybe because she was snacking on her sponge the whole time!

I'm just glad I saw her do it so I could do something to prevent it from happening again!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #5 
Lion Mom

Are you sure she is actually EATING the sponge & not just picking stuff off of it?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #6 
BlueHaven

Am I the only one who finds this funny?
xD

Of course, it may not be a good thing...I hope you figure out what to do!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 
LolaQuigs

Oh no she definitely tore off chunks of the sponge.There probably was something on there that she wanted, but she ended up getting the sponge itself. I didn't see her drop anything so I assume she swallowed it.