Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #1 
SillyCone

It's not an emergency...

Hello!

Sorry but I don't know if it's an disease or anything like this, but my fish is getting worse in a stress matter.

My aquarium will arrive this week but I don't know if you can actually kill your fish over stress (like birds).

I will just copy paste the big text on my video description because I'm lazy to say it again (sorry!):

He used to live in a 1.5L aquarium, we changed to a 4L vase while we were deciding which aquarium to get for him.

I know this is a torture for him, I know I don't have a pump, filter or heater for it, FOR NOW! I bought the aquarium for it already and is yet to come, it will have everything so I hope he will get alot better.

I arrived from Holiday a week before this video and I went to pick up my fish from my friend's about 3 days ago (where he was while I was away).

Even though I know it's stressful to remain in such place he never had been like this before, his stress level is going higher and higher.

Even with the calmer drug he's stress won't go down!

I fear he might have some sort of infection or anything, I thought maybe he was in the mating season (?). That would explain his lust for killing he's been in the last days.

But his fins are with this gooey stuff and I don't know...

He did try to bite me! And "killed" the piece of banana my brother gave it....

Anyway! This is my fish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcuHvH-YWU

I really don't know anything about betta fish more than I read about the care tips, I'm trying to learn more and I do hope I manage to keep him, well not happy but at least with a better comfort and peace.

Please don't flame me, we just spent 80 on an 10 gallon aquarium and features such as a heater and a starter kit.

The Fish arrived at us by surprise and yes, we DID take a while to take some action about him (for that I'm sorry) but we never actually had a betta before and everyone we knew told us they live "happy" in small places because they are "evil fishes" that kills everything they see.

I know that ain't true now, and I just need some help and advice for it...

Maybe the temperature isn't right... :C!

IDK! I'm desperate. I just don't want it to die before the aquarium arrives (I'm over dramatic).

Thanks alot for reading!
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...have a few questions so we can better help your Betta....

How much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, water temp, any additives used....what are you feeding and how is the appetite.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #3 
SillyCone

I change the water once a week, last change was yesterday.

I have no idea about the temp right now, since we don't have a thermometer for it... (Sorreh!)

We used 4 drops of Nutrafin Aqua Plus to calm the fish down a little bit.
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/prod...01079250030101

There's some gravel on the bottom of the aquarium but that's it.

We feed him a pinch of TetraPrima Mini Granules once a day, I try to give it a "good" amount for it's size. He tends to not eat everything and let it sink to the gravel, sometimes he goes and eats the ones in the gravel the rest of the day.

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetra/go...=11&lang_id=20

Lately he eats his food with extreme anger, it's clearly to see that.

!!!!

I just discovered that our food (which we actually received with the fish) is for tropical fish indeed but is not necessarily for bettas, on the website have one specially made for bettas, I also read on the forum that is good to variate the food... I guess I will do some petshop shopping on monday.

Ugh... The Website said to feed 2-3 times a day, am I starving my fish to death?

I feel so guilty now... At least the more I find out about the problems the more I realise I have things to blame, which is good because I can change it so it can get better!

Still not good for the guilty feeling though.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would start by making some daily 100% water changes with like temp dechlorinated water for the next 3 days, get a thermometer to monitor the temp and try to get it stable at 76-80F...feed small frequent meals of high protein food and see if he will perk up, if not, he may need a 10day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5 
SillyCone

I'll try, also thanks alot I will keep you guys updated with him, I wish his aquarium comes soon, but since I will change his water daily in the next 3 days it's the best to keep him in a small place then.

About the salt aquarium thing, to be honest I didn't understand much but I will try my best!

I will check about protein foods in my house, maybe a tiny piece of meat?

... I will change his water soon anyway, I might have to buy some more water though. :C

Oh, and the thermometer only arrives next week as well, with the aquarium, what to do!

The human thermometer wont work, since bellow 30c it gives error, wait how much is 70f?

I will google, brb LOL!

Dang, it's 24C to 26C

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-07-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #6 
Silverfang

you can get fairly inexpensive thermometers at pet stores and walmart 2-3$

And don't feed him human food, please. Look at pet shops for a nice pellet, or even frozen blood worms (he'll love them!) I found a nice pellet (omega one, 42% protein, first three ingredients are fish) for about 4.50$, and frozen blood worms for 9, and there are enough of those to last for two years (at least!)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #7 
SillyCone

I just arrived from this pet store, oh em gee, they have like everything in there, from dogs to parrots to snakes. lol!

Anyway, they didn't have proper betta fish food (dang it!) so I didn't buy the food, they said more will come this week.

Also, they sell awesome fish tanks over there, if I had find that store before buying mine I could have a nice tank for Fillet now. :C

Buuuuuut! I found the bloody dried/frozen worms! And the thermometer!!!

The water testing thing only had one with 5 strips thingy, I will look around tomorrow to see if I can find a better one, since the store was closing up (it's late here!)

Anyhooooow! Your help is really really making me feel better, and the fish too!

I just changed his water, he's on his small aquarium while the aqua plus thing is mixing into his vase.

OMG! I'm so excited about the store, made me feel alot better about him, they have all this cool decoration stuff for aquariums, even live ones, but I will stick to plastic (lol!)

I will soon put him in his old vase, once he calms down I will give him one of these bloodworm thing.

Oh and the thermometer is still running, we will have an answer soon!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #8 
CyerRyn

Glad you found your way to these forums for help. Everyone here is incredibly nice with lots of info! Hope your little guy will perk up soon, especially when his tank comes in!! Good luck and welcome to the forums. :)
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #9 
SillyCone

Thaaanks!

Also, can you believe it? The temperature I used to put him was like 10C, like 55F!!!!

OMG! No wonder my fish hated me :C!

I just put the water on the normal heat level, manually, I will keep a look on it in like every 6 hours.

He feels alot more comfortable, as soon as I put him back I could see he liked it alot better, just waiting him to calm down to feed him the worm thing.

I'm so happy!!

Also btw, I found on the petstore but I didnt buy, a thing that is for a fungus (?) that gives an yellowish dust on it's back or eyes, maybe he has it? idk, but I'm happy to know that I was wrong, and I found help before things got worse!

:D!

It's so good, yet bad, to know what was wrong was you (me).

Guys, it's my first ever fish pet, so I'm still learning, gosh, I'm so happy I ran to the petstore and managed to buy the thermometer in time!

----------------------------------------

Update:

I just gave him some of these worms, he got a bit afraid of it, lol.

The good thing about my betta is that he controls his own diet, he doesn't over-eats hahaha.

He's just facing them a bit them runs to the bottom to rest.

The thingy on his fins seems like a lot less, maybe it's getting away when he tries to run from the net, hahahahaha.

Anyway, he's alot calmer now, I hope once the aquarium arrives he will be at his 100%.

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-07-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: omg I put the update at the wrong place lol
Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 
CyerRyn

Did you make sure to acclimate him (put him in a baggy or cup and float him in the warmer water till the water in the baggy/cup is around the temp of the warmer water)? I know it was urgent to get him warmed up but shocking him while doing so can be harmful. I hope the warmer water helps him feel better.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote