Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

Argh! Please help?

I have my CT male betta in a 3 gallon he just got 2 days ago. I cleaned everything thoroughly in hot water and added the conditioner by the gallon. Everything was looking great until I wake up this morning and the tank is so cloudy I could hardly see the back of the tank! So I have heard about beneficial bacteria, is that what this is? But I did anotehr 100% this morning, just in case it wasn't. Again, rinsed everything thoroughly, added the water and conditioner, acclimated betta, everything seemed fine. Now it is getting cloudy again. Is it the bacteria? I understand they are good for the tank, but they look awful and I do not have a filter. Will it clear up? I can't be doing 100% on a 3 gallon every other day, too stressful for my fishy. Please tell me what this is and what I should do? Thanks so much! Sorry, I don't know. Should I keep cleaning it or let it be for a while? I am so confused. Please help me? Thank you so much for your time. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

I have a cycled tank and it's not cloudy so I don't think that's it.

What sort of substrate are you using? If new gravel isn't rinsed enough, it can make it cloudy but it will settle after a while.

How long does it take to get cloudy after a WC?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #3 
trono

It's normal for a brand new setup to get cloudy. It'll go away after a while.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Canuck fins - my setup is barebottom, no gravel. I don't think the decor is the problem either, I rinsed that all very well and nothing was dusty or had anything on it. Trono, I hope you are right, it's pretty cloudy this morning. Thanks for your help, I'll just keep up my partials and see what happens. :)
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #5 
Pekemom

Where are you getting your water from and are you treating it? I had the same prob and changed from (conditioned) tap water to spring water (1 gal plastic jugs). The cloudiness went away almost immediately. I'm sticking with the spring water now. I have a 5 gal tank (cycled, filtered, heated) and change out 2 gal every week. It's absolutely clear as a bell and has been running now for three and a half months.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #6 
Twilight Storm

This is a pretty fun to read page on the cloudy water. :) (although it sounds like you have things under control at this point.)
http://www.firsttankguide.net/cloudywater.php

Good luck!
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

Pekemom - I do use distilled water! I wonder if that's the problem... but I have been using it for 10 months, would it suddenly do that? Plus the other tank I have uses the exact same water. I do treat with water conditioner, I think it's aquasafe? Hmmmm... well, if worst comes to worst, I will try that! Thank you! Your tanks sounds amazing, your fishy is so lucky! :)
Twilight - I wouldn't be so sure, it's still super cloudy today after a 75% yesterday. I will read that article and see what happens. :) Thank you for your help!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #8 
Neil D

The cloudiness is normal for a new tank. Mine did that after two days of setup. It goes away. Also people recommend not to use distilled water, as it lacks minerals of any kind. Aged conditioned tap water is preferred. Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Okay, thanks! 2 days for mine too, it's day 3 after a 100%. With the 75% yesterday. I hope it goes away soon!