Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #1 
sjones

What do you think about a care sheet project?

I can't find a free downloadable printable care sheet for betta anywhere.

I am a graphic designer and I want to design one, that is free, and looks awesome, that people can reproduce, download, hand out in front of petstores, walmart, paper their neighbor hood with, etc

I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good free downloadable care sheet that is online already?

I thought there was a thread on a project like this a while ago

I don't even agree 100% with the care sheet on here(I believe it may have been the waterchanges.. but am not sure) but there is so much knowledge here with the members it really amazing.

Anyhow if you have any feedback on this project let me know. I would also love to get a good copywriter/editor to work on this project as well. Credit can be given but I don't want any "do not reproduce without permission" on it. I want it to be free to help bettas. I may even create a website that hosts the caresheet and would love to have links to forums such as this one.

We could even do a marketing campaigns and have stickers etc! For "Betta" Betta Care, link it with Peta2 etc, etc, possibilities are really endless

Last edited by sjones; 05-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

Great idea. I think we should put one together though, some of the information Ive seen on the net and even heard from people is kind of fishy lol

It should have basic sections

1. Tank Setup
2. Water and Cleaning
3. Food and Betta Health
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
bahamut285

Feedback

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but, as much as I would LOVE to have this happen, and possibly play a part in it, I don't think this would take.

The best form of advertising is through word of mouth, because to be frank, people don't read. I have worked in several places before that have signs with varying information, and the only ones that people read are for determining which bathroom to go to (even then I've seen...mistakes.). There are signs right in front of the printer on how to use it where I work, yet I get daily questions on how to print. The instructions are LITERALLY taped to the printer.

How many people have even tripped over those: CAUTION! WET FLOOR! signs? It's embarrassing.

Also, as newarkhiphop said, most of the "Information" on the internet, and even through word of mouth is relatively misinformed or plain incorrect...so we should expect the same treatment from other people who believe they are incredibly well informed.

As per my marketing class, the three main things that "sell" and psychologically attract people to advertisements are: Sex, babies, fuzzy animals (emphasis on the fuzzy).

The majority of pet owners have dogs or cats (I guess horses too), and as we all well know here, said majority of pet owners have the "It's just a fish" kind of thinking. Most of my rez-mates think fish are "high-maintenance decorations". A few sarcastic people are like: "If you love fish so much, why do you eat fish?"...I sarcastically respond with: "I eat dog, too"

I'm sure many people are aware of the website deviantArt. If you look up "Fish" in the search, I think about 50% of them are pictures of a fish in either a lightbulb casing or a wineglass. Understandably most of them are in there for a few minutes just to take a photo, but everybody will be all: OMG! THIS IS ART! I LOVE THE COLOURS OF YOUR FISH!!11oneeleven. However, try putting a dog in relatively similar situation and you'll get PETA followers all up in your face.

I've honestly just have tried to come to terms with the fact that other than the cool people, nobody gives a second through towards fish. Nobody truly understands that we love our fish just as much as we love our family (including the dog/cat, haha). Nobody even understands WHY.

However, my feedback aside, ignorant people aside...I want to help. I don't care if I have to be the next MLK for fish, I want to help. Fish are beautiful and exotic creatures just like any other animal on this earth.

To be totally honest, even before you posted this, I've been wanting to write a news article on deviantArt about people's portrayal of fish in the deviantArt community. SJones, now that you've posted this, I think I have found my resolve. Let me know if you need any help at all...I've had training in CSS, HTML and PSP (Photoshop).
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i like this idea. it's not a bad idea at all, in fact. many people use sites like google when they need to(usually when their fish is sick, and they're looking for the reason. IF they care enough), and if one of the words they search for is in your care sheet, they'll find it, and be like "oohhhh! THAT's why he's sick!" and possibly fix their mistakes. it's also not a bad idea to pass it out at little pet stores, for them to hang by the betta section. :d or even pass out to people who buy bettas(though... i've never seen that happen. ._. except at Petco. during that "build a betta" event.).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 
sjones

Okay bahamut285 I'm going to hold you to that!

Thanks for your analysis on why people are indifferent to fish.
Yes, it does bother me personally that some people say they are above animals, I believe this allows them to separate themselves from and therefore exploit them more easily.
Unfortunately if you have ever observed how human apes are..well.
I also think religion has separated us from animals. I'd be happy to critique your article when you have it done or while you are forming it-I love critical thinking.
BUt not to get off topic.

The first goal is to write a sheet that people can access proper information from, it will be readily available and free, downloadable and cheaply reproducable and printable (8.5"x11" black ink only)

The second goal you brought up is to change how people think, this can be done and has been done over the years (look at dolphin safe tuna for example) IT's all marketing and with the internet it is now possible to reach everyone who has a computer and the internet ( okay who speaks english- for now, perhaps we can get language translation!)

What do you think?

Awesome feedback everyone! wasn't there a care sheet thread on here a while ago that members were writing?

So these are the recommended main sections:
1. Tank Setup
2. Water and Cleaning
3. Food and Betta Health
anyone have input on sub sections?

Last edited by sjones; 05-08-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #6 
sjones

I feel a wikipedia coming on!!!!!

ARG! The wikipedia betta fish page uses petco caresheets as a linked reference, this must be debated
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 
ollief9

I hate wikipedia.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #8 
bahamut285

I think newarkhiphop's suggestions should fill up a piece of paper nicely. I think common myths should go on the paper too.

Maybe try to get a wikia page? It's those free wiki-type pages (at least I think it's free). There's already one on there called bettasplendensfish.wikia.com but it's...quite...empty. Haha. It also has a pretty cheesy layout and doesn't look professional at all.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
sjones

This is going to take a while, I'm typing away yet have just scratched the surface :P
myths is a good idea!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 
newarkhiphop

Wiki sounds like a cool idea BUT that should be like "continued " section of the much much simpler Intro to Betta Guide

If you go straight to a wiki with all the information from some of us who are more knowledgeable it will turn off the average person who JUST bought betta and is looking for care tips

but a wiki like this would still be great , but i think a 1-2pg betta guide with good, solid and simple information would work best to start off with
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote