Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #1 
kathstew

Bettas and Goldfish?!

My cousin is 11 years old, so please bare with me as this is about her. Her parents don't speak english (she is adopted -long story) so I can't discuss these issues with them. I don't have all the information, as basically I got most of this off a phone message)

My cousin has a goldfish (used to be two, one died - no surprise) in a one gallon bowl (I know its too small, I keep telling her that but she won't listen). And she has two bettas, both in their own 1 gallon bowls, Marina and Samoa.

She wants to put her goldfish and one of her betta (i don't know which, the girl or the boy) together. She has an empty ten gallon tank.

I know nothing about goldfish. But from what I can gather, goldfish and bettas can't be together mainly because of their temperature needs. Is this correct? Are there other reasons for this, because my cousin won't listen to just one reason? Bettas are also fin nippers in general, so wouldn't they nip at the fins of the goldfish.

I think she is planning either:
-goldfish and betta together in 10 gallon
or
-goldfish and betta SORORITY

-_-"

She isn't listening to my advice, please give me some backup on this.
Since I've gotten into the betta hobby she has decided to follow, not listening to all of my advice. Because I recently made a sorority, she has decided SHE wants one now. PLEASE HELP. I am afraid for these fish.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

Bettas and goldfish should NEVER EVER be kept together, PERIOD. They have completely different needs and temperaments. Goldfish create SO much waste that they NEED 20 gallons each, with extremely heavy filtration. Bettas need still waters with little filtration, and much higher temperatures than goldfish should be kept at. There is no way she should keep them together. The Bettas would be better off in their 1 gallon bowls by themselves.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #3 
baylee767

Goldfish get HUGE! fancy get at least 6 inches, common/comet can get 2 feet! Fancy needs at least 20 gallons to one gold fish, common/comet 125 or 200 or something to one goldfish. Goldfish need HEAVY filtration, Bettas of course need light filtration. Goldfish are cold water, Bettas tropical. It's one of the worst fish to keep with a Betta. And in a 10 gallon, neither would last long. Tell her about this. And tell her about the nitrogen cycle and if she really cares for her fish she'll rehome the goldfish (unless she can afford a bigger tank).

What language does her parents speak?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 
Dragonlady

Although I certainly don't advise it, I have kept fancy goldfish with bettas in a very large tank in the past. In general, it is a bad idea to keep bettas with goldfish. Fancy goldfish like their water a bit warmer than common goldfish, and they prefer a higher ph than bettas. Goldfish do grow large enough to fit a betta into their mouth eventually.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #5 
kathstew

THANK YOU SWEEDA! :D

Hopefully she will listen! She is kinda getting on my nerves, not listening to anything I tell her.
"My friend has a goldfish, and its in a gallon bowl and hes been alive since NOVEMBER!"
"Could I breed my bettas in a one gallon bowl?"
"Keeping bettas in a half gallon tank is so cruel! ...Can you keep bettas in a half gallon bowl?"
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #6 
kathstew

THANK YOU baylee767! Its getting impossible to tell her ANYTHING to do with fish, anymore. She contradicts what I say with what her "friends" and "pet store workers" say. I am certainly no expert on fish at all, but some of these things are common sense, or things I've picked up on here! I will definitely keep at her about the goldfish needing a bigger tank! And they speak spanish.

Dragonlady, I can understand you doing something like that. You are WAYYYY more experienced than my cousin is. These are her first pets EVER, and no offense to her, but she isn't the responsible type. In a large tank I'm sure would be OK with adjustments as well as careful observation made by someone experienced, but my cousin just doesn't get it.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 
SashimiBetta

In all means necessary - Don't put them together. Your cousin will be killing innocent territorial fish.

Last edited by SashimiBetta; 05-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #8 
Luimeril

when i talk to kids about their fish, i try to explain things as simple as i can. does your cousin have the internet, or can she use yours? if so, you should show her pages that show that bettas and goldfish can't be kept together. show her pictures of the World's Biggest Goldfish, and explain to her that if her goldfish were in a large tank, it would be really happy and grow really big. introduce her to this site, and tell her that the people on here know alot more than the people at the pet store(don't' say 'more than your friends and...' that, won't end well. >.>;), and have lots of pretty, happy bettas, and some have goldfish too! i know it's frustrating, but all you can do is be patient and show her how much happier her fish would be if she stopped listening to her friends and the pet store people, and took your advice.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

You're welcome, Kathstew! I hope you can talk some sense into her. I'd hate to see beautiful fish die because she won't listen. Do your best, but in the end, don't blame yourself if she refuses to take your advice. In the end, it's her decision, however wrong it may be!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #10 
kathstew

Lumeril - thanks for the ideas! She does have the internet, so I will send her some sites about goldfish and bettas. I totally never thought about the worlds biggest goldfish, that may just convince her about the tank size! Thats a great idea, thank you!

SashmimiBetta - I will do my very best to keep her bettas and goldfish seperate!