Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11 
kathstew

Thanks Sweeda. It just bugs me, because before she got the goldfish, she asked me for help to research what they need. I looked up the info, sent her websites (we talk through webcam because she lives too far away) explained things for her - EVERYTHING. And then she went and didn't listen. I guess she will learn eventually. I really don't want to see or hear about her fish dying though. It breaks my heart hearing that they died, and it could have been easily prevented, you know?
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #12 
Luimeril

this is the pic i often use to show people how huge goldies can get. :p

it's gonna be tough, since kids her age are hard-headed, but as long as you play it right, she'll see how much happier all her fish will be, with proper care. you could say something like, "see how big and happy that goldfish looks? how'd you like your goldfish to get that big? you could show it off to all your friends, and brag about how long yours lived!". :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

WOW, that is a crazy size comparison! I'd LOVE to raise a goldfish from that tiny size to something huge like that. Some day, I want to get a huge tank (200 gallons at least), and keep beautiful fantail goldfish. I love them, but they require SO much room!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #14 
Luimeril

i had a common goldfish for nearly 13 years, and he was about as big as that one. :d he lived in a 29 gallon with a pleco. odd relationship they had, as the Pleco never tried to eat the goldfish's slime coat till the goldfish was on its last leg.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Another thing to point out is that a healthy goldfish can live 10-40 years. So 'since november' is literally nothing compared to their lifespan. Good luck!!!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #16 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Another thing to point out is that a healthy goldfish can live 10-40 years. So 'since november' is literally nothing compared to their lifespan. Good luck!!!
i love the reaction when i tell people that Goldy lived about 11. :d i usually say something along the lines of "my mom didn't think he'd last the weekend. well, 11 years worht of weekends past, and he was still alive".
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #17 
vaygirl

:D That's some serious fish longevity. Some day I'm going to have goldfish, when I have room for a huge tank!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #18 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
:D That's some serious fish longevity. Some day I'm going to have goldfish, when I have room for a huge tank!
i miss our 29 gallon. ;A; it actually got STOLEN from our shed. .____o no lie. they stole. our fish tank. >.>;
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #19 
babyk

i work with kids all day long! lol so i understand how hard it is to try and explain things to them...especially when they are in the wrong.

Have you tried telling her how would she like to only live a small bathroom with one other person that takes up so much space?

Or have you told her that goldfish grow from the inside out? (I think thats true? let me know if im wrong) And since they grow from the inside out they could actually "explode" :(:( Ouch.
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #20 
Arashi Takamine

The thing is kids her age are stubburn, hard headed and sometimes their ego's are bigger then they are. (No offense but I remember how me and my friends were at this age: We were near psycho's.)

I hate to say this but when a goldfish is together with another fish sometimes Mr. Goldy gets hungry....I learned this the hard way at 7 when two of my goldfish literally ate each other to death. There was no blood...There were no guts hanging out....They were interlocked totally ripped apart. I still have the awful image in my head whenever I remember it. That could get worse with how aggressive betta's are, male or female they're a very aggressive species.

Tell her that Petshop employee's usually are only trying to sell her a fish not help her take care of a pet. Tell her that whilst her friends are probably trying to help to do her own research and that if she gets a bigger tank for her goldfish alone that he may very well grow up to be as big as a koi fish.

BTW what kind of Goldfish does she have? Comet? Sunburst? Black Moor? Ryukin?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote