Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #1 
swhitt

Power filter replacement cartridges?

The tank that I have is one of the Hawkeye 5 gallon hexagon acrylic tanks. I was just looking into buying some cartridges for the filter that came with the tank, but I have not had any luck:( The cartridge that is currently on it is already really dirty looking (is brown in a few spots) so I thought that I would go ahead and switch the filter cartridge out. I was wondering if this would be a good idea? Also, I was wondering where I could purchase the replacement cartridges for the tank since my local Wal-Mart does not carry them.

When I was looking online for the cartridges that I could order through the manufacturers, I noticed that neither of the replacement cartridges look like the one that is in my current filter. According to the little "pamphlet" that came with the kit, it is a 5-15 gallon power filter, model number HA-0515. I know that a few people on this forum have this tank and I figured that this would be the best place to ask about it. When I was searching online, a lot of the reviewers were saying that they had no other choice but to order the replacement cartridges from the manufacturer.

I really like this filter system because I can adjust the water flow (even though I still have to baffle it). I would not want to buy a whole new filtration system, but if I must I will.
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 
roypattonphoto

is it a bio wheel or a hang on back? ... or is it that tank that you get from walmart?

heres a tip:

when u do your water changes , before u through the old water out, swash the filter in the old water and knock off some of the crap on it, that way u dont wash off the good bacteria, and then mid cycle before your next water change, swap filters that way saving some of that good bacteria and not starting the cycle completely over...

Last edited by roypattonphoto; 05-08-2011 at 01:10 AM.
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #3 
roypattonphoto

if its the tank i think, it uses a Whisper 2.5 Power filter.....you should be able to get the filter media from Petsmart...

Whisper Bio-Bag @ petsmart

Hope that helps....
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #4 
Lion Mom

I own 3 of those tanks & what I do is I don't use the cartridges. I use aquarium sponge/foam filter inserts & shove 'em in! Just give them a good rinse/swish a couple times a month in used tank water when you are doing your water changes. They don't need replacing till they are LITERALLY falling apart - which takes YEARS!!!! :)

Two of the brand names of these are AquaClear & Imagine - the Imagine is a little less expensive, but works just as well. Another thing - if the sponge is too big, you can cut it down to size.

Hope that helps!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 
swhitt

Thank you guys. I think that I will take Lion Mom's advice and get a sponge for it:)
swhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitt View Post
Thank you guys. I think that I will take Lion Mom's advice and get a sponge for it:)
You're welcome - and it's way cheaper than constantly purchasing cartridges!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote