Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
babyk

Question Size to put a Snail in?

Im new with bettas and I would like to get a snail for my boys:) One is in a 2 gal and the other will be in a 5 gal very soon:)

Could a snail go in either of those?
babyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 
smerkette

I have a 2.5 gal tank with my betta fish in it, and i have a black mystery snail in there with him. they seem to get along just fine, most of the time, except for when the fish decides he wants to give a little bit of a head butt to the snail.
smerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 
babyk

Thanks for the input. i think Ill go for it and if it doesnt work out Ill put it in the 5 gal.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 
smerkette

Should be fine in the smaller tank. my snail has been in there a while and is doing well. it has even had baby snails, about 10 of them.
smerkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Although size of tank does factor in you need to tell us the long-term living conditions and more details about the creature you want to put in the enclosure so that we can tell you if you can put it in there or not.

What kind of snail do you want?

I assume it's a mystery snail but I could be wrong.

The poster earlier probably has either ramshorn or pond snails as mystery snails don't reproduce without a mate of the opposite gender while other snails (ramshorn and pond) reproduce asexually.

The difference isn't only in reproduction though. there's also a massive difference in size and waste output.

Ramshorns and pond snails are small critters that put out waste but if you keep their numbers small it wont get too bad.

Mystery snails on the other hand ar BIG snails and produces a LOT of waste and ammonia.

Generally speaking unless you have a heavily planted tank (with STEM plants and fast growers. Moss, anubias, java ferns, and vals won't do the trick) that gets either a good two-three hours of direct sunlight each day ( or a 6,700 K(kelvin) bulb that's on most of the day) you really shouldn't put anything more than a betta in a 2.5 gallon.

A mystery snail would work in the 5 gallon if it were only the snail and the betta. And if the tank were already cycled or again heavily planted with stem plants that get adequate light to thrive.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #6 
naturegirl243

I have to say snails poop ALOT! I have two golden mystery snails and they clean up my brown algae problem very well.But if you are going to keep the snail in a 2.5 gal. be prepared to do alot more water changes I have my HMPK Diego and one of my snails in a 10 gal. and it collects alot of poop by the end of the week (I change his water once a week) my other one is in a 20 gal. long split tank and I switch what side he goes in every couple days so that tank does not get as bad.I will say I love my snails they are so cute!
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #7 
babyk

I am thinking about a mystery snail...they had tiny ones at petco the other day. He is more in there for my Apollo so maybe that will distract him from tail biting so I wont mind the cleaning:)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #8 
BlueHaven

A mystery snail can't live with a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. It's too small, they get big and poo tons. Lol
1 mystery snail does best with 2.5 gallons to him/herself.
In a 5 gallon with a betta would be good.
I have my mystery snail in a divided home with one of my bettas, no filter, but I do daily water changes plus I try to take out any poo I see when I go visit them. They both have live plants.
Fast growing plants are best for aiding the water quality.
C:
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #9 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaven View Post
A mystery snail can't live with a betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. It's too small, they get big and poo tons. Lol
1 mystery snail does best with 2.5 gallons to him/herself.
In a 5 gallon with a betta would be good.
I have my mystery snail in a divided home with one of my bettas, no filter, but I do daily water changes plus I try to take out any poo I see when I go visit them. They both have live plants.
Fast growing plants are best for aiding the water quality.
C:
+1
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #10 
turtle10

My mystery snail is the size of a golfball. He/she is in my ten gallon shrimp tank, and it still looks too small for it.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote