View Poll Results: Elvis's New Friends
2x Snails 4 33.33%
4x Ghost Shrimp 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #11 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
You should be able to prevent population growth of both the snails and the ghost shrimp. The snails lay large and vary noticeable egg sacks at the surface of the water that can easily be removed. Brine shrimp larva require brackish water to survive and grow. So you don't need to worry about that.

2.99 for a ghost shrimp is really expensive, they are only 35 cents at my LFS. They don't really live long (1 year usually) and have a high mortality rate so for 2.99 a piece I'd go for the snails.
Actually, ghost shrimp are full freshwater, so they may breed, but the betta will eat the babies. Are you sure they are ghost shrimp? They may be amano shrimp, which look similar but are more expensive.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #12 
TonyK

I voted for shrimps. They are nice to watch and if they do reproduce your Betta will have a treat.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #13 
Blaze54

I think you should go with the shrimp (ghosts I call 'em)for the short time I had them they were really cool!! The only thing is Blaze had already established his turf :( But heavily planted tanks usually support ghosts well.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #14 
NikiandBeyond

I'd tried shrimp on two occasions, glass (I wanted ghost) shrimp and cherry shrimp. They were all eventually gobbled up. I've wanted to try a third time once I added drinkwood and more plants/obstacles, but a employee at my local fish store ominously said that my betta could choke on a shrimp and die. Such a bummer.
NikiandBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #15 
roypattonphoto

so .. never go to petco looking for them, turns out u'll just leave with 4 more bettas..... happened to me ... going to the other pet place tonight to get them...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #16 
LeroyTheBetta

Can I vote for neither? lol I don't know much about snails, but when I considered them almost everything I read and many people I asked said they've got a large bioload (also as kathstew stated).

Therefore, I'd be inclined to say go for shrimp... but I wouldn't get any more to put with my betta, Leroy, because he's already shown me he likes shrimp snacks! But, I hear some bettas do ok with them. Just gotta try it and see I suppose.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #17 
roypattonphoto

so i got 6 ghosties, and a total of 4 shrimp from to spread through out my 3 tanks ...

elvis stalked the ghosties for a while, even given chase to them once n a while and being all guardy of his bridge, so far snail has been unoticed (i got a Black Mystery Snail to help it blend in to the soil and surroundings hoping elvis would be o look a moving rock)

the girls have tortured their 2 Ivory Mystery Snails through out the night, bot snails are now laying on the backs .... dunno how they managed it .. so far mask hasnt really noticed hsi Blue Mystery...

i put an algae wafer in elvis tank for the snail and ghosties, elvis has since claimed that wafer, not eating it but he is hoovering over daring any potential shrimp to come near it ...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote